Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erratic Internet Disconnections.

• Please log in to reply

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi People.

I have a problem with my internet which has been causing my entire house problems for quite some time. Basically the connection to the internet drops seemingly at random at quite a consistant basis. I am on a Netgear router/modem thing and for a long while it worked perfectly; only in the last few months has it started to become unstable. We havea home network that consists of two computers and an Xbox 360. This has always been the set-up and has worked fine in the past. We have rang up our ISP many times and they have "reset our profile" and told us little bits of advise like perhaps there being a problem with the phone filters. So I have unplugged all the phones in the house to no avail. I have moved the router to a different phone socket. All of which does nothing; the internet connection light on the router still goes to orange for a few minutes and then back to green which happens consistantly. However a few days later and it will be back to normal - no problems at all. Only for it to revert back to bad a few days after that. It's annoyingly inconsistant.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how to help me? That would be awesome.

Oh and the connection is lost on everything on the network, not just one computer.

Cheers Matt.

P.S. Ha, it even disconnected when I tried to post this. Great...

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It sounds a lot like a dying / dead router, how long have you had this router?

Regards,
Olrik

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Probably not even a year.

But I am probably wrong. Time flys.

Edited by Mattnstuff, 23 September 2008 - 06:36 AM.

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone else know anything that could help?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'm sorry, I missed out on this topic. It gets busy some times. :)

Something you can try is get the router out and connect the computer straight to the modem and see if it still gives you the issue.

Regards,
Olrik

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The router is a modem and a router :/

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Did the ISP provide the router/modem?

Regards,
Olrik

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah they did.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You might want to ask them if they can send a temp replacement to see if it's the router causing the issues.

Regards,
Olrik

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, Might try that then.

Mattnstuff

Mattnstuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Does it have anything to do with DNS. As when I fix/repair the line using Vista that's what it comes up with saying it's unfixable automatically.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If the light keeps changing it gives me a hint that it's hardware based not configuration based.

Regards,
Olrik