Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Defrag problems

• Please log in to reply

striderlonghorn

striderlonghorn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I attempt to defrag or analyze my drive I receive various error messages (it changes several times)
Currently it is defrag will not run there is an error in.....
C:\windows\KB839643-DirectX9.log

previously it has been.....
C:Windows\ODBC.ini
C:\windows\DIIUnin.dat
etc

I have run chkdsk /r from the run box. and (after 5 hours) :tazz: it didn't solve the problem.

;)
Thanx

Advertisements

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Run a scandisk, error checking in winxp. The command you wanted would have been chkdsk /f f=fix.

striderlonghorn

striderlonghorn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Run a scandisk, error checking in winxp. The command you wanted would have been chkdsk /f    f=fix.

View Post

More info...
I ran chkdsk /f rebooted and I am still experiencing the same problem. This is only on the C [boot] drive. I ran analyze on the D drive and defrag runs fine.
It seems to pick files from the C:\Windows directory exclusively, usually log or ini files, however it also picked ms097.acl (office 97 auto correct log), info147.sys, etc. I have deleted some of these files then run analyze again and it picks a new file.

any other suggestions? :tazz:

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey this might be silly - but might just work - try Repairing your windows installation using ur Windows XP CD!

and also tryout Diskeeper 9 - might help you!
u will get a full fledged 30-day trial at www.downloads.com.

hope i have been helpful!
will update u if i cook up some solution! :tazz: