Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I didn't backup my email files...

• Please log in to reply

Gregster9821

Gregster9821

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I assumed when I upgraded from MSOffice 2000 to Office Standard 2003, that my old email would be saved and "migrated"... But that didn't happen apparently.

Does the upgrade save them as a backup somewhere? Or if not can I un-install 2003 and get them back that way?

Searched the MS website with little help on this topic. Thanks for you help.

Advertisements

I_am_MAD_Alice

I_am_MAD_Alice

• Pip
  • 6 posts
If you are running Windows XP, do a system restore to the day before you installed 2003. Make sure you save the emails in a pst.

How to Create a New Personal Folders (.pst) File
1. On the File menu, click Exit and Log Off.
2. Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
3. Double-click the Mail (or Mail and Fax) icon.
4. On the Services tab, click Show Profiles.
5. Click to select the profile you want to add a new personal folders (.pst) file to and click Properties.
6. On the Services tab, click Add.
7. In the Available Information Services list, click Personal Folders, and then click OK.
8. In Create/Open Personal Folders Filetype a name for your new personal folders (.pst) file with a .pst extension, and then click Open.
9. In Create Microsoft Personal Folders you may change the name that will be listed in Outlook for this Personal Folders file, and click OK, OK, and then click Close.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=195717

Gregster9821

Gregster9821

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My system is on WinXP - But I disabled system restore because I was hunting down some adware and trojans. I failed to enable it again.... Thanks for the advice tho, Mad Alice.

During the installation of the "upgrade" it asked me/and it did save an uninstallation file. If I uninstall MSOffice 2003 will it restore my email? Or maybe it archived them?

Help!?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Tune Up Trial, run file recovery, undelete, show only files in good condition, restore to a folder you create for this, then move any you recover from there as the original location probably got lost along the way

Tune Up Trial

Gregster9821

Gregster9821

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
After I installed MSOffice, I defragmented the drive. I have tried some free undelete utilities with no results. My last ditch effort will be to un-install 2003 and see if it saved my old email files.

Help?!?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you remove Office you will lose the mail. Tune Up is worth a go, it has found files either side of a clean install.