Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

fnglover

fnglover

• Pip
  • 3 posts
\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set-up using the original set up CD-ROM...

this is what I get when I open my toshiba M45 S359 using windows xp...
nothing works anymore !
F8 + safe mode is inoperative, and I can't access the recovery console.
I do not have an original set up CD-ROM and no windows XP disk either. I do have a toshiba recovery and applications/drivers DVD.
here is what I did so far (following excellent advices)...
- download the Recovery Console.iso : http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
- burn it to CD with CDBurnerXP
- insert it into the Toshiba and try to boot from the CD after changing the BIOS boot order so that the CD drive is listed first

it appears that the laptop refuses to reboot from the CD even if I tweak the boot order.
it does reboot normally and then gives me back the windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt...
the cd boot works fine on my working destop computer.

if anybody has an helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to recover some important pictures files from the laptop...

thanks !

my best, francis.

Edited by fnglover, 23 September 2008 - 10:43 AM.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Does your laptop have a DVD drive (it appears is does when I look up the model)? Or just a regular CD-Rom drive...

If it has a DVD drive, re-burn the recovery console to DVD then it will boot.

I honestly don't know why that is, but on multiple computers I've worked on some with DVD-rom will not boot to any CD period unless it is DVD.

That should enable you to get the recovery console going.