Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Periodic Disconnects (visably from mirc an msn im)

• Please log in to reply

cusis

cusis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
It seems that when i download heavly my mirc and msn kept disconnecting every few mins or so when im maxing my download speed (3mb cable). Its been going on for a long time and ive just had to bear it.

Mirc comes up with the error "* [10053] Software caused connection abort" which i dont see until i try and type a msg and get promptly disconnected and at that exact same time msn messengers little two men in the systray start thier flashing as they reconnect to msn. i can only assume that i lose connection to everything including the internet but i wouldnt know a way to test.

im on a network with 3 other pcs. theres a pc connected straight to the router with xphome sp1 that does NOT have the probs i do. and i have 2pcs set up through the switch that have the same probs.

not only does this annoy me as i happily disconnect from both programmes i get nice msgs from ppl kindly asking if i could "stop f****** disconnecting and reconnecting all the time"

so far ive tryed:

1.a winsock fix which i found from the mirc message boards regarding the problem.
2.timer script in mirc
3.new switch
4.new network cables
5.latest firmware for router
6.being polite

none of these have helped.

i download mainly via bit torrent using Azureus. When i leave multiple torrents only sharing (5+), the disconnects increase considerably even when i tryed limiting the upload to 5k/s for all shared torrents.

any help would be appriatated.

System Info:
winxp pro sp2
p4 2.5
msi msi-6701 mboard
2x pc2700 ddr samsung
radeon 9500pro
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (on board)
netgear fast ethernet switch fs105v2
linksys befsr41 4port router

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and if you simply do nor use Azureus does the problem recur?

cusis

cusis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
seems fine when i dont use azureus but problem persists no matter what bt client i use
i like using bit torrent and im hoping there's something that can be done to fix the problem than just giving up on using it altogether.

i done some more test and apprently whoever is in the dmz is not affected by the disconnects.

however if any of the comps use a bt client (none are on the dmz) and download lots of simultaneous files then everyone on the network is affected by the disconnects.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it sounds like you are overwhelming your routers NAT ability--you mention the DMZ and its impact on the problem--the machine not using network address translation avoids the problem.

Gad, you must be pushing a ton of data across those machines...

You updated the router firmware and that did not help how about another router? Or perhaps another switch before the router? I wouldn't spend money on it, but if you have an additional router/switch laying around it may help since your router processor has less work to do

Another idea...perhaps a bandwidth limiter like, well, netlimiter....

http://www.netlimiter.com/

Got an extra machine? MS ISA server would allow you about the same...

Don't know enough about bittorrent to know if there is a setting that might be more effective then less than 5 connections...

You noted you have one machine connected to the cable directly, but not the other two....Is the one using ICS to share the internet connection?

cusis

cusis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well ive got a 3mb cable connection and i dont even have to max that to get the comps to disconnect. i even tested with lan xfers of multiple files to see if i could reproduce the same problem but no joy. also tryed multiple http dls and that didnt disconnect me either.

im on a router with my house m8, i have 2 comps in my room connected to a switch that goes to the router, my other house m8 has the router in his room so he just connects directly to it.

we get our internet thru a cable modem connected to the router.

well i went out and bought another switch thinking that the first one i got was faulty so u rekon i should:

house m8s PC
|
My 2 PCs~switch~switch~router?

if so i tested it some more and still the disconnects persist.

when u say use netlimiter do u mean limit how much i download? sorry if thats a silly question i blame it being late at night.

btw i want to thank u for helping me so far ive asked a lot of people (irc) and posted in a number of other forums but as far as a reply and possible solutions go ur the first to suugest things without being rude or say sensible answers like "do a format" :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, I am not suggesting you use internet connection sharing...in fact, I was suggesting the opposite. The way you originally phrased it, it sounded like your m8 was connected to the cable modem, then you guys were connected to a switch, then to him....

First, is it a switch or hub?

I am more inclined to believe it's a hub and as a result you are getting a lot of collissions, which may explain your problem....

I assume you are using a switch so you only need to run one cat5 cable...as a test, remove the switch/hub from the setup and run a couple of cat cables directly to the router. (or move all three computers in the same room as a test)

Does the problem recur

cusis

cusis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i checked the manuals they are both appear to be switches altho one says its a mini switch and both are 10/100.

before i posted in the forum i also tested with bypassing the switch altogether and having a cable run directly from the router to one of my pcs while my m8s was also connected to the router directly. diagram below:

m8s PC
|
router~my pc

still the problem persists.

sorry if my descriptions are poor ill try and illustrate if it helps.

[ah the diagram i made before didnt come out right sorry about that it was suppse to be...

house m8s PC
|
router~switch~switch~my 2 pcs

]

Edited by cusis, 04 May 2005 - 07:23 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and the problem recurs?

(btw-netlimiter is a neat little program that can limit bandwidth on a per application level---there was a link in my post above).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just read this page--see if this stuff helps

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/37.html

cusis

cusis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yup problem is still there.

cool ill try limiting the download speed then and see if that helps.

also i was speaking to a friend on irc that had the same problem and hopefully not by coincidence he has the same router as i do beside it being v3 of that router (linksys befsr41) . altho he couldnt solve the problem without drawback he did try limiting the amount of connections the btclient made to around 100 globaly the problem didnt occur, however he said this greatly affected the rate at which he could download.

right so i have a few options then:

keep using bt but cap the download rate

cap the connection limit which essentialy caps the download rate

try getting a new router

unless u have any other ideas gerryf.