Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I want to send out newsletters/problem with Microsoft office

• Please log in to reply

eaday

eaday

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks,

I prepared a newsletter in *.html format and uploaded my photos to the server..(say www.mydomainblahblah.com/folder/picture1.gif). I want to send this out to hundreds of people at once without clogging up their accounts. As for this, I was told to go Tools>options>mail format and select my html file as default.

Theoretically my html file, which is not larger than like 25kb, should be received and each recipient should be downloading the photos from the server...Well, as you may I assume it doesn't turn out that way.. On the contrary each of my email is like 1 MB and sent with the photos...

Well I will really appreciate your comments at this point. Is there a way to do this with office? If not, how should I keep the size of my newsletters' size at minimum without skimping on photos?

Thanx,

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot control how people will view your mail. People do turn graphics off in mail and not load anything remotely for security reasons.

A far better solution would be to put your newsletter as a webpage on your server and mail the link to that page to your recipients. Its generally a bit anti-social to clog up somebody's Inbox to show them a few pictures, and those people on dial-up wouldn't be very pleased to wait ten minutes to get an email with some random pictures attached to it when more urgent ones may be waiting.

eaday

eaday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the answer. No matter if they do want to download the photos or not I still want them to receive my html embeded in the mail with or without the photos. I have the same concerns with over sized mails so the file's size should be 25kb not 1 mb. Frankly I donít think just sending the link and asking them to click should be the only solution...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Thank you for the answer. No matter if they do want to download the photos or not I still want them to receive my html embeded in the mail with or without the photos. I have the same concerns with over sized mails so the file's size should be 25kb not 1 mb. Frankly I donít think just sending the link and asking them to click should be the only solution...

Many people who are PC savvy know that one of the best forms of defence against spam is not to allow HTML code to run to remote load images from somewhere else as that will indicate the email address is valid. In any case most decently set-up programs disable this by default so you often find images won't load anyway.

I would argue my previous solution is a good catch-all solution. It's one I'd prefer anyway.