Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create Boot disk for Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

alexmat01

alexmat01

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,
Here is my issue.

I have an IBM Think pad 600 - Pentium II, 6GB harddisk, NO FLOPPY drive. This is a new harddisk since the earlier one crashed.I am trying to install OS on this

I have a PC that runs Windows XP SP2.

I have the Windows 98 CD but this is not a bootable one.

Now I would like to install Windows 98 on the Thinkpad. For this I would need to create a CD thats bootable on the laptop as well as contains the Windows 98 files that I can later use to install. How do you I go about using my PC to create this bootable CD ROM. I researched and some said I could do this from the control panel but since I have an XP I am wondering if this would create bootable CD for XP. Or am I wrong here ?

Please let me know.
If it helps - I been into the PC world for only about couple of years as a user so not really sure about how to go about this and where I am I dont get any dependable service for the laptop.

Thanks
Alex

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
This website will almost definitely help you. Good luck :)

-Tony

alexmat01

alexmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I hope so !!!
Whats given currently on the site doesnt help since I dont have a floppy drive and am looking to create a bootable CD

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only way you'll get a bootable CD is to make one on a computer with a CD burner that's running a decent CD Burning program, such as Nero. With Nero you can tell it to make a bootable CD and it'll do one, no questions asked. You can then swap the disk out for a Windows 98 one and install from there.

alexmat01

alexmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks. I got Nero.

My question is (pardon me if am being too basic here !) can I just put everything on the Windows 98 CD onto CDROM and burn it as ROM, and expect it to boot me up on the laptop in DOS prompt,format andinstall windows 98 ?

Or for this , would I need to copy only certain files/executable from the windows 98 CD ?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to make a Windows 98 CD. You just want a bootable CD.
You can feed the computer a Windows 98 CD afterwards and run setup from that.