Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screens, etc.

• Please log in to reply

just confused

just confused

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm a newbie, and too old to be doing this stuff, so if I'm in the wrong forum someone kindly point me in the right
direction. This am I had a blue screen stop for a desktop. Yesterday I had downloaded the Java 6 update and
took the optional Open Office download to use as a backup to my Word Perfect Office 11. Assuming this was my
problem I removed the OO2.4 using add/remove programs and manually deleted the folder from ProgramFiles.
I used a restore point of last Sunday. I continue to get the blue screen stops (0x's of differing varieties). My
word processor will not open, allow me to remove it, or attept to reload it. Windows Installer gives me a msg:
"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or
contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer patch package." Attempts to manually
uninstall WPO11 are blocked by PFSE110.DLL. Help!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

BSODs can be caused by any number of things, and can be hardware or software related. However, as you said you are receiving a number of different STOP error codes, then I think the first thing to check is the memory.

Follow the link below to Memtests website and download a copy of memtest86. If you have a floppy drive in your computer, then get the pre-compiled package for floppy (DOS - Win) version. Otherwise there are versions for CD (pre-compiled bootable ISO (zip)) or even for a USB stick.

memtest86

If you use the floppy version, then extract the files & double click the install.bat file and follow the instructions.

If you use the ISO version for CD, then check out Troy's guide for creating a CD using this image:
Troy's guide

Once you've created your bootable floppy/CD, boot your computer from it. Memtest will start automatically. Let it run for a while (at least one complete pass) or until it finds errors. Let me know what happens.

NB you may need to change the boot order in the bios to force it to boot from floppy or CD before the hard drive.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks so much, Samm, for your help. I downloaded the memtest to floppy,
extracted, and attempted to reboot, but the screen said to remove the disk
and restart. I assume that means I need to change the boot order in the
BIOS per your instructions, but it's beyond my skill level. Remember, I'm
a geezer. How do I get into the BIOS and change the boot order? Sorry
to be such a pain.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wait! I figured out how to get into the bios to check the boot sequence.
Maybe I'm not as dumb as I look. :)

The floppy was already selected as number 1 with the C: drive as #2.
I tried again to boot from the floppy, but still get the message:
"Remove disks or other media - Press any key to restart"

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It sounds like it IS attempting to boot from the floppy disk but the floppy isn't bootable. This suggests that you haven't created it properly and from what you've described, I'm almost certain this is the case...

Firstly, the memtest zip file must be downloaded to your hard drive, not the floppy disk.

If you did download it straight to the floppy, then you should be able to copy the files across to the hard drive.

Once on the hard drive, they need to be extracted (to the hard drive). If you're copying them back from the floppy, then it sounds like you may have already extracted them, so just copy the files to a folder on your C drive.

Insert the floppy, then locate the extracted memtest files which are on your C drive. Double click on the file called 'install.bat'. This will create a bootable floppy disk containing memtest.

Once this is done, then reboot from the floppy disk.

NB Be warned that when you create the memtest floppy disk, anything already on the floppy will be overwritten.

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Samm,

Sorry for my unresponsiveness. To add to my problems AT&T unceremoniously disconnected my dsl on 9-25 for no
apparent reason. Thus far they have been unable to explain why or to get it reconnected, but this evening (10-2)
have temporarily set me up with a very sloooowww dial-up account until they can get it sorted out. At least during
the down time I was able to get my word processor back.

I tried your instructions. When I click on the install.bat file I get a dos wndow then a pop-up stating:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec/S32EVNT1.DLL
An Installable virtual device drive failed Dl installation. Choose
'close' to terminate the application
CLOSE IGNORE

I have tried selecting both 'close' and 'ignore' but get the same message when I attempt to reboot. I'm not sure
what the pop-up means. I have not used Symantec/Norton for more than a year, and have no Symantec folder
in my program files.

I'm still getting the error stop shut downs. Terribly confused. :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, when you uninstall Norton, it leaves behind stuff in the registry which can then cause errors such as the one you are getting. (marvellous). Download the norton removal tool & run it, then try memtest again.

Norton removal tool

If you still can't create the memtest floppy after that, then I suggest you try either creating the memtest floppy on a different computer or using the memtest ISO download for creating a bootable CD instead. (See the link in previous post to Troy's guide to doing this)
Creating it on a different computer may be your best bet though, if it's possible

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I guess I'm stuck. As I said, I haven't used Norton in over a year. I received the last version I used by download,
and did not keep the confirmation e-mail from symantec. The NRT requires the product key which I no longer have.
I used the add/remove programs to remove Norton. Assumed it would remove it all. My bad. :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, don't panic.
We'll just have to do this the hard way....

1) Go to Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup
2) On the first screen. click on the link to 'Advanced Mode'
3) in the advanced mode screen, select the Backup tab
4) Tick the checkbox labelled 'System State'
5) In the box called 'Backup media or file name', click on the Browse button and select a location on the hard drive to store the file.
6) Click 'Start Backup'
This will backup your registry before you follow the instuctions below:

1) Go to Start ->Run and type: regedit <click ok>

2) In the left pane, navigate to the following folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

3) In the right pane, you should see an entry called 'VDD'

4) Click once on 'VDD' and press the DEL key (or right click on it & select Delete)

5) Once deleted, right click anywhere in the right pane and select New->Multi-string Value

6) Name the new value VDD

If correct, the values will be:
Name: VDD
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: <blank>

7) If it won't let you delete the original VDD key, then double click on it instead to open the properties box. In the properties box, delete the contents of the Value Data box, then click OK

8) Close the registry editor and try creating the memtest floppy again

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Edit the registry!?! Are you trying to give an old man a heart attack? :)

Actually, it worked very well. Pass complete no errors.

P.S.: I finally got my DSL back this a.m. Only took 12 days. Still no explanation,
but AT&T promised compensation.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can I take that to mean that editting the registry allowed you to create the memtest floppy which you then ran and it completed one full pass with no errors?

If so, then I apologise for the amount of effort involved in completing the memtest diagnostic given that it didn't find any errors! Still, had to rule out the obvious first :)

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
You are, of course, correct. I ran the memtest one complete pass. No errors.
And no apology necessary. It's all been most interesting. I'm learning a ton
of stuff, and, no doubt, the regedit cleared out some cobwebs. Thanks!

just confused

just confused

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
For whatever it may be worth, Samm, I have not had an error stop since
running memtest. Perhaps clearing the virtual device drivers fixed the
problem. Everything seems to be working great so far.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, well that's good to hear! Let me know though if you get any more of those errors... :)