Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Icons will not load in Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

charlesn56

charlesn56

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Not all of my icons will load on startup. In fact only about half will load. Any ideas of what I can look for, or where the problem might me.

Advertisements

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
is this a constant issue? or does it come and go?

charlesn56

charlesn56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

is this a constant issue? or does it come and go?

This is constant, out of the 12 or so icons. Only 4-5 will load. If I try to load them, the system tells me that they are already there.

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I'm going to refer you to the Malware Forum, sounds like you have something nasty to clean off. Go thru the steps there and then come back if that doesn't fix your problem.

Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Or.. your programs could just be unchecked to whether you want them showing in the taskbar. Most programs have an option. Wanna name what some of these icons or programs are and see if you actually have a malware problem, or if they're just not showing up on purpose.

charlesn56

charlesn56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I'm going to refer you to the Malware Forum, sounds like you have something nasty to clean off. Go thru the steps there and then come back if that doesn't fix your problem.

Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

My problem started after upgrading to Norton 360 v2. I can delete the icon and past icon files with regedit. And kill and restart explorer.exe. I then get some more icons to show up but not all of them. And then on the next reboot it is back to just a very few. Although when I try to start them, the system says there are already there.

Charles

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Is this a problem with icons in the taskbar only? What about desktop icons?

I'm not allowed to help you with Malware issues, there are trained staff members for that. But I would highly recommend that you run thru the Malware removal guide and see if that helps. At least we could eliminate the possibility of malware.

If the guys in the Malware Forum say you are clean, then come back here and I'll try to help you with your registry settings.