Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build

• Please log in to reply

James1122

James1122

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I really don't like my computer I have atm.
This one we got from a friend who is a computer wiz.
Over time. Its getting slower, Making more noise and a lot of other problems.
Here are the current specs.
Posted Image

This is what I was thinking.
(This will be a Gaming and a Personal computer)

* Case (and any extra Case Fans) - Not sure. Want minimal sound
* Power Supply - Not sure. Want minimal sound
* Motherboard - Not sure
* CPU (Processor) and Heatsink/Fan (and thermal paste, if not included) - Not sure. Want minimal sound
* RAM (Memory) - 3GIG
* Hard Drive - 100GIG
* Optical Drive (e.g. DVD Burner) - DVD Burner.
* Video Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) Gigabyte GT6800 (or better)
* Sound Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Not sure
* Networking Card (may be integrated into Motherboard) - Wireless
* Keyboard - Microsoft
* Mouse - Microsoft
* Speakers - Logitech
* Monitor- LG
* Any extra add-on cards you may have for the build (eg. TV Tuner Card) - None
* OS Installation Disc (eg. Windows, Linux) - Windows XP

Can you please help me pick some of the missing parts.
I want to spend as little as I can :)
BTW I live in Australia.

~James

Edited by James1122, 25 September 2008 - 03:38 AM.

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well, how much are you willing to spend? Price is a BIG deal, and if you want a gaming computer for less than 600 to 800 dollars it won't be an awesome gaming computer. Sure you can make a computer for cheap, but you need a budget.

James1122

James1122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
True. I just want to be able to play CS and all that
Ill have around $800 to spend (dont include the monitor)

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well 800 dollars is a nice amount especially if we aren't including the monitor(monitors usually are the most expensive item). Only a week ago I built a nice working computer and for about 800 to 1000 bucks if I had actually bought my cpu or monitor. You get lucky sometimes :) . You can check out my build here, and although it's not exactly a gaming comp, it still works excellent.

So I guess we'll go down the list slowly, starting with the most important til we reach the little things?

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Just want to throw out there, there are guides to a great computer. The arstechnica guides came in useful for me and provided me with my background of what I wanted. Check them out if you want here.

Newegg.com is a great place to buy parts, but shop around, you'll never know where someone hides the bargains.

MOTHERBOARD

Now the motherboard is first, just because it is like, the best part. :) And almost everyone I know goes Gigabyte. I used the GA-EP35-DS3R but for only an extra $10 you can upgrade to the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Edited by IrrevocableXenophile, 25 September 2008 - 02:49 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Don't forget we can't order Newegg parts in Australia...

To the OP: What are some sites you can order from?

Cheers

Troy

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Oh yeah sorry, I forgot. (Congrats Troy on hitting 39 hundred posts :) ) Here are some great stores to get parts from. (sorry I totally missed that you lived in Australia) The last on is kind of pricey :)

Umartonline
Scorptec.com.au
Auspcmarket.com.au

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The last on is kind of pricey :)

Yes you're right - the last one is a bit pricier, but I've shopped with them before. They're pretty good at getting items in fairly fast upon release (I ordered my 8800GT with them as soon as they were available, and other shops didn't even stock them for two weeks after I was gaming on it :)) and shipping is included by default in the prices.

I always shop at Umart, otherwise. I used to work there and get great support from the guys ("hey get me this now" kinda thing).

I was actually asking because sometimes it pays to order from a local store to save on postage costs. I would rather buy items a little more expensive but then not have to factor in postage - usually works out cheaper in the long run - especially if anything goes wonky and needs an RMA...

So James, let me know if you're happy to order from one of these sites, or link to a local site for me.

Cheers

Troy