Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor does not stay on

• Please log in to reply

Waterchan

Waterchan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I turn on my computer, the monitor turns off after about one second. The power LED remains lit. Windows starts up fine; I hear the normal start-up sound, but the monitor does not display anything, not even backlight. However, whenever I press the Digital/Analog toggle button such that the monitor goes into Digital mode, I see whatever I'm supposed to be seeing for one second, and then everything goes dark again, backlight and all.

I know it's not a Windows problem, because the same thing happens when I hit Delete to enter the BIOS. Whether I'm in BIOS or Windows, once I tap the Digital/Analog toggle button and the monitor goes into Digital mode, the monitor displays the contents again for about one second.

This problem started when I entered the Performance Test mode for Devil May Cry 4. I'm not sure if it's a video card problem or monitor problem. I don't have spares of either to test, so I'd like some ideas before I go and find someone who can help me.

Thanks!

(I have an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS and a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 940BX LCD monitor, if that matters.)

Advertisements

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Have you tried booting into safe mode?

since you can't see the screen you will need to press F8 as soon as you hit the power button. after about 10 seconds toggle to "digital mode" and try to see the options before they blink off. Then use the arrow key "down" to chose the option you need.

Try and boot with "last known good configuration" ( it is usually at the bottom)
If that doesn't work reboot and hit F8 again, try to boot into "VGA mode"

If one of these gets you back into Windows, then try to dial down your video card's settings.

I would agree that it sounds like a video card driver problem. Something is set out of range.

Waterchan

Waterchan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, I will try it when I get back home. But I wonder, if this problem occurs at the BIOS level, would it make any difference if I boot Windows' last known good configuration?

Waterchan

Waterchan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It didn't work, on my roommate's computer either. I guess it's a problem with the monitor itself.