Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps restarting itself

• Please log in to reply

stevex33

stevex33

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Guys,
I've got a windows xp professional computer, built and installed everything myself.

Recently my pc has been rebooting itself when I'm doing something. It used to be just when I was playing eve-online but only when I actually went into a mission with loads of other bad guys around.

I thought windows was corrupted anyway so I bought xp professional.

Unfortunately now it's rebooting itself whenever I try to install world of warcraft (Or play eve online). I should note that I've installed it previously without any problems. It lets me get to disk 2 sometimes and then just turns off, it doesn't shut down, it's just like someone flicks the power switch off and then it turns itself on.

So we know it's not a problem with windows.

Could it be a harddrive problem? I'll try installing other games and giving them a whirl and see if it gives them problems as well. It's allowed me to install other programs though, I image it's because of wow's size. The harddrive is about 3 years old ish.

Or is it likely to be a faulty power supply? It's not even a year old.
It's a Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC $140 roughly

Or would I need to flash the motherboard with the latest update?

How can I test what the problem is? And what further information can I provide to get the best possible answer?

Thanks

regards
steve

Advertisements

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
tell me as much about the PC as you can.

1. Hardware specs
2. Software already installed within the past month
3. any recent windows updates?
4. any changes to system configuration?

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
intel core2 duo
2 gb ram (4 x 512mb) corsairs
520w corsair psu
ati x1800 gto

I've just done a complete format of the harddrive that windows was on and re-installed it. My other harddrive contains my games and data etc but aren't linked to the harddrive that windows is on, so they're there but not really installed.

This was happening before I re-installed windows, so I'm pretty sure that it's not the problem.

I re-installed windows last night, and have only installed anti virus software and a few games, so I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue.

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
do you have a good benchmarking software?

I'll look for something free that might run "resource intense" tests on your hardware to see what it can handle.

Anybody know of anything?
:)

Also, since you just re-installed windows, are you sure that you have all of the chipset drivers and correct video card drivers installed? Don't mean to insult you, just gotta make sure.

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't have any benchmarking software unfortunately.

I have run windows update and installed all the necessary drivers as far as I know. But I was experiencing this problem before I re-installed windows.

Video card drivers I definately installed.

And no insult taken, just ask what you need to know and I'll see what I can provide :)

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
My gut says it is a power supply issue but I can't prove that.

I'm still trying to find some benchmarking software for you.

What kind of motherboard do you have?

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
asus p5w dh deluxe

I appreciate your help :)

The power supply is less than a year old and cost about $140 so I hope that's not it.

By the way on a less serious issue, since re-installing windows I can't use the english pound key (Normally shift and 3), any tips on how to get that back?

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
That may be more serious than you realize, or atleast it could be a clue as to our real problem. Any other issues (big or small)?

Anything is worth mentioning. The more info we have to look at the better chance we have of getting this right.

Also, try running disk check on the hard drive that has XP installed on it.

Check Disc:

Go to My Computer

Right click on C:\ Drive

Click "Properties"

Look for a tab that says "tools"

Click on "check now" under Error-checking

Check both boxes. Click start.

If it tells you that some system files that need to be scanned are in use and that you need to run CHKDSK at startup then let it re-boot you PC. Go make a sandwich and wait till it finishes.

If that doesn't help, then go here: ASUSTek.com

Choose "downloads'
Select your "Product" "Series" "Model" from the 3 drop down menus.
Then you will get a pop-up that asks for your OS, Choose XP from the drop down box.
This will take you to the driver page for your motherboard.

Download the most recent drivers from the following categories:

BIOS
BIOS-Utilities
CHIPSET
UTILITIES Download all of these (Don't download the BETA versions)

This will take a little while. After you get them downloaded save them to a CD or flash drive. (in case you need them later) Then, start installing all of them. tell me how it goes.

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've just done all of that and am still getting crashes :)

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Are all your fans running ok?

i.e. not clogged up with dirt?

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your pc?

Heatsinks all mounted properly & with thermal paste?

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes all fans are running fine and clean. I cleaned it last night and everything is mounted properly and has thermal paste

stevex33

stevex33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey, just wanted to update you guys and ask further advice.

I've got a replacement power supply (They said the old one was faulty, didn't explain how).

I also got a new cpu cooler, that keeps idles temps at about 26C and load at about 30C.

A MASSIVE reduction in heat.

HOWEVER, I'm still getting crashes. when watching videos or playing games.

So what do I do?

Could it be anouther faulty power supply?
Or should I just try and replace the graphics card or could it be a motherboard issue?

I really need your help with this one :)