Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad Aware installation fatal (!) Error

• Please log in to reply

Besocelestial

Besocelestial

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello.

I formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows XP this past weekend due to ongoing issues. All issues seem to be resolved now. I am running Avast 4.0 Home Edition and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.

I have been trying to reinstall Adaware as well but get Error 1920 Service aawservice failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privilege to start system services.

I have done the following:

Verified that Adaware was uninstalled thru add/remove programs
Removed any Lavasoft folders that were still on my Hard drive
rebooted a gajillion times.
Tried Safe mode.

I am the computer administrator...or at least I should be :) I checked ot amke sure there was not any other user accounts and all.

Thanks in advance for assistance!

Christina

Edited by Besocelestial, 25 September 2008 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
If you have Spybot S&D installed, then teatimer.exe may be stopping the service from running. Since Spybot and Ad-aware do a lot of the same things, they are probably getting in each others way.

I'm only curious.....why do you want all of that on your PC? Sounds to me like a bit of overkill.

Avast is the absolute best anti-virus in the world! and Spybot is pretty good too. I'm not sure I understand why you would need Ad-Aware too?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I'm only curious.....why do you want all of that on your PC? Sounds to me like a bit of overkill.

Avast is the absolute best anti-virus in the world! and Spybot is pretty good too. I'm not sure I understand why you would need Ad-Aware too?

Yeah - since I removed Ad-Aware, Spyware doctor, Spyware Blaster my pc is a whole lot faster and responsive - and i've had no infection for over 2 years.

I just run Spybot & AVG

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Three protection programs is not exactly overkill, especially if Adaware and/or Spybot is only being used as an on-demand scanner. Frankly, I would not choose either Spybot or Adaware as my on-demand scanner of choice anymore. I think you'd be better off with Superantispyware or Malwarebytes AntiMalware and performing weekly scans with one of those.