Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Creating images...

• Please log in to reply

Zakilla

Zakilla

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok I have little(hopefully) question...
I want to take a laptop with vista pre-loaded and pre-activated and set it up with software and etc... then I want to use the NortonGhost image on 50 other laptops of the same model.

Does anyone know what problems I will run into with the individual Vista keys.
Will I have to re-activate all of them or is there any other solution.

Thank you,
Zakilla

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They'll probably all want activating again using the individual key on the bottom of each laptop.
But then again, maybe they won't. Technically it should trigger a reactivation because it is new hardware.
Under XP you could quite often swap a board out for an identical model in every which way and it would never notice. Whether this works in Vista I couldn't say.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,663 posts
Microsoft has an image preparation tool that you need to use. It has changed a bit since i've used it.

http://windowsvistab...olkit-2008.aspx

http://technet.micro...y/bb457073.aspx

Put it simply, there is a lot more than licence key duplication that you have to worry about. If you don't prep the image, then you will run into many issues down the road. Least of is the duplication of keys. That is, unless you have a enterprise / corp. license key.

Zakilla

Zakilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the help.

I don’t have any enterprise keys I just have a bunch of laptops that are brand new. :)
So is it possible without a volume license or am I doomed and have to set each one up 1 by 1... because I want to avoid calling Microsoft to reactivate 50 keys, that would be a total nightmare.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,663 posts
setup the first one the way it needs to be. Then after using sysprep (correct version for vista), you can immediatly make an image of it. All that should need to be done after that is to enter the key for each system, name the computer and add it to the domain (if needed / required).

I haven't gone through sys prep for vista yet, but the process seems to be fairly simple. It has a wizard to walk you through the steps. You may loose a day of testing this out and going through the learning curve. However, it will serve you well in the long run.