Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videocard issues-how do I reenable the onboard video?

• Please log in to reply

northernCX

northernCX

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
OK, new computer, Athlon 64+ Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, Asus M2N68-LA (Narra) mobo w/ onboard 128MB nVIDIA card. Just installed a Sapphire RADEON x1300, and repeated hangups while booting, can only boot through Boot Mode screen. Then it works, but things hang/freeze/suspend for no reason, NOTHING taxing the system.

A) Pretty sure the culprit is the 300W PSU- WHY DIDN'T I NOTICE THAT SOONER!?!?!
B) I've disabled the Radeon, but can't seem to reenable the onboard without pulling the Radeon.... can that be done?

I've been using things for a couple weeks before the card upgrade, but a fairly clean install, with SP1.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi northernCX! Welcome to G2G!

You will need to keep the video card out of the system for the onboard to work. If the computer detects any cards that give video output, then it automatically disables the onboard video to avoid conflicts.

Fenor

northernCX

northernCX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks... what a pain. Any recommendations on PSUs? Or rather, is there a software util out there that can check a system and let someone know what kind of PSU the system needs?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I have a link to one in my bookmarks at home and I can post that when I get home tonight, which should be in about 1.5 hours from the time of this post.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry, totally forgot about posting that link last night when I got home from work. I will once again try to remember tonight after work to post it, but in the mean time, for what you have in your system I bet a 500W would suffice, but I would go for 600 or 650 for upgradability of your hardware's sake.

Fenor

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
that is not totally try SOME computer will let the on-board to work simultaneously with a video card but most will not... You would have to go into setup and turn it on there and then you would have to configure windows to use it but it might not be able to set it as the primary...