Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is DVD drive hot swappable?

• Please log in to reply

Barney321

Barney321

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My friend has a Dell Latitude D600 laptop computer with a DVD rewriteable drive in it. He unplugged it while the computer was turned on. I'm not sure if this was the case before he did it or not, but now the DVD drive does not show up in My Computer and no disks will work in it. Are they hot swappable, can they be unplugged while the computer is on?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Never unplug anything from a computer internally while its still on.
The only exception to this rule is external devices that are designed to be unplugged. A DVD drive is not.

Try restarting the computer if you haven't done already. Failing that you may find you've killed the drive.
Does the unit show up in Device Manager?

mgzarni

mgzarni

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i guess you should check your drive in device menager..
Is there your drive will be disable or corrupt some file seem like question mark
if so you should remove driver file and restart computer and install try again..

---------------------------------------------------------: handmade by zarni :

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Some drives are considered Hot swap ( like sata drives ) but you can run into issues... also there may be a utility to "turn off" the drive before it is removed.... seems to me I've seen this on older laptops that have swappable drives....