Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU, please advise

• Please log in to reply

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
so far i have a list of a system i will be putting together. my ultimate question is what PSU to get? whats ATX vs ATX12V? i was looking in the 300W-400W range, is that right?

motherboard = MSI P43 Neo3-F [LGA 775, Quad Core/Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo, 1600/1333MHz FSB, 4x240pin DDR2 1066 (16GB), 1xPCIe16 2.0, 1xPCIe1, 4xPCI, 1xPATA, 8xSATA, ATX, 24pin]
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz [LGA 775, 1333MHz, 6MB L2 cache, 45 nm]
RAM = Mushkin 2GB [240pin DDR2 1066]
video = MSI GeForce 9500GT [PCIe16 2.0, 550MHz, 512MB, 128bit, GDDR2]
audio = Creative Labs SB Audigy [PCI, 7.1 channels, MIC-in]
HDD = Western Digital Caviar 250GB [SATA, 7200RPM, 16MB cache, 3.5"]
DVD = Sony NEC DVD [SATA, 5.25", black]

other questions i have ...
do i need to pay attention to the MFG tech for CPUs?
does it matter if my motherboard power connector is 24pin or 20+pin, as long as the PSI matches it?
does anyone recommend any changes?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
400w? You'll be lucky.

Somebody else is good at recommending brands but the questions...

1) MFG? Manufacturer? Check the CPU you want to buy on the CPU support list and see if its there or if it can be added to with a BIOS flash. If not, don't buy the board.

2) The PSU main power connector (the big block) will have four pins on one side that slide off therefore you can use it in a 20 pin or a 24 pin setup. A 20 pin power supply will work on a board with a 24 pin connector and a 20 pin power connector will work on a 24 pin power supply as long as you slide the extra four pins off or don't connect them to anything (some boards due to the capacitor locations you may have to slide the 4 pins off to fit, on others you can just leave them overhanging).

ATX is an industry standard size - if its an ATX power supply it'll fit any ATX case. ATX 12 v comes in five different variations - the original and the revisions. Preferably the later the better.

3) Changes - well what do you want to do with the computer?

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 September 2008 - 05:23 PM.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

400w? You'll be lucky.

what ya recommend ??

1) MFG? Manufacturer? Check the CPU you want to buy on the CPU support list and see if its there or if it can be added to with a BIOS flash. If not, don't buy the board.

not sure i follow.
check the motherboards cpu support list?

2) The PSU main power connector (the big block) will have four pins on one side that slide off therefore you can use it in a 20 pin or a 24 pin setup. A 20 pin power supply will work on a board with a 24 pin connector and a 20 pin power connector will work on a 24 pin power supply as long as you slide the extra four pins off or don't connect them to anything (some boards due to the capacitor locations you may have to slide the 4 pins off to fit, on others you can just leave them overhanging).

so when i am matching up the motherboard and the PSU, i ereally dont need to make sure they are both either 24pin or 20+4pin?

3) Changes - well what do you want to do with the computer?

none relly, just want to make sure it all matches up.

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
another quick question.

if i get a motherboard that has 2 PCIe16 2.0 slots, can I buy 2 of the same video cards that are PCIe16 2.0 compatable, as long as its SLI ready?

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ya u can, but if you do, u are gonna need about a 600+Watt powersupply to power the two cards. This one is very good http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817379006. Cheers :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes, that does sound right.

Just make sure you don't get anything confused when making your purchases:
  • SLI-ready motherboard will run two Nvidia cards (These will all have an Nvidia chipset on the motherboard)
  • Crossfire-ready motherboard will run two ATI cards
Cheers

Troy

washout

washout

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
ahhh ^^
ty, that does clear some confusion up.