Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where's My System Recovery Date?

• Please log in to reply

mendillo

mendillo

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have been seriously infected with a virus and i want to do a system restore. I know for a fact i did a system restore a month ago and it won't let me go back a month to August. It will only let me go to the system restore point of YESTERDAY, but i've had this virus for a few days now so that won't help none.

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
A lot of viruses do that.. delete your system restore points. Had it happen plenty of times. :) Sorry. But I'm sure the malware forum will get you disinfected.

Best Regards,

Tony

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
That's a limitation of System Restore -- it depends what percentage of free disk space has been reserved for it to create restore points. As the reserved space gets filled up, old restore points are overwritten with new ones. Check your System Restore settings to see how much disk space has been reserved for it and increase it if necessary. That will at least allow it to hang on to old restore points for longer, but there's no way to preserve them indefinitely.

One thing you must do, however, is delete that restore point you currently have so you don't re-introduce the infection at a later time.

I'm not aware of any virus that deletes restore points, since they are encrypted and inaccessible to external processes. More likely it will be a case of having lost them due to insufficient space as explained above. And as you install more programs and save more files on the disk, the free space will drop which leaves even less room for restore points.

Edited by pip22, 27 September 2008 - 05:27 AM.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well, I've had viruses and I make restore points atleast once a week. Then I went to system restore and all of them were gone except one I HADN'T made, called VirusRemover2008. These people have had the same problem.

http://en.allexperts...ows-restore.htm

http://answers.yahoo...11183438AAcC3Kc

Yeah, I'm pretty sure viruses can delete them. :)