Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System And Registry Files

• Please log in to reply

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Is there anyway to check if System and Registry files are corrupt apart from getting error messages.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If system files are corrupt that would almost certainly stop Windows from loading. There are no files in the Registry, only references to them. If the Registry is corrupt Windows would normally tell you so whilst loading and it then uses a backup copy of the Registry if one exists. It would help if you could tell us exactly what the error messages say, even if they don't make much sense to you. They do tend to be a bit cryptic sometimes but they do help in pinpointing the cause by reference to a database of error messages on websites.

Edited by pip22, 26 September 2008 - 03:40 AM.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
While trying to install a software program(Nokia Pc Suite)

While trying to do this I got this error message,("Installer Information Error"( An installation for logitech quickcam is currently supened.You must undo changes made by that installation to continue.
Do you want to undo these changes) I clicked yes and was able to install.

A problem is that I have tried to uninstall the webcam software before through the normal add'n remove,even in safe mode but to no avail.

I keep getting the error message,( The windows installer program cannot be accessed,this can occure if you are running Windows in safe mode or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed,contact your support personal for assistance.)

I have tried to manually uninstall the program with this method and thought I had suceeded.(http://www.theelderg...ll_programs.htm)
but when the new software I had installed had finished the Logitech Quickcam software reinstalled its self.

After that finished I got another error,"System Settings Error" System settings has encountered a problem and needs to close.
I clicked on the Error Signature,this is what it reported,
(AppName:Teatimer.exe AppVer:1.6.2.23 ModName:Kerrnel32.dll ModVer:5.1.2600.3119 Offset 00012a5b)
That program is part of "Spybot S&D" so I uninstalled incase it was the issue but no,still can't get the webcam software of my system.

Makes me think I must have corrupt or missing files on my system or the "Windows Installer" program may be damaged.

Have tried the first method in this KB Articial, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346 but it has not changed anything.
Was going to try to reinstall the Application to see if it would work but I am not sure of the correct Application Version to download or this has anything to do with that application.

I went to the Run Command after reading some threads here to scan my system (sfc /scannow) but kept getting the message I needed to insert the XP CD which I didn't have so I kept clicking cancel and eventually after 3/4 of an hour it finished.

It didn't seem to make any difference to my system even if it replaced any missing,corrupt files as I still cannot remove the Logitech program.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you suspect a windows installer problem you can remove Windows Installer 3.1 in Add/remove program. There are two ways to get it back:

1: Windows Updates will download it as an update. Allow the installation.

2: Download and install it from Microsoft's downloads.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Well I reinstalled "Windows Installer" but had just the same results,so I guess it rules that out.

I installed the latest software and driver update for the webcam in the hope of replacing any corrupt files in that application but just got more errors during the installation.

Error 1 Error 1704 ("Installer Information Error"( An installation for logitech quickcam is currently supened.You must undo changes made by that installation to continue.
Do you want to undo these changes) I clicked yes and was able to install.

Error 2:Internal Error 2753 ModelFilehandler.exe 71CAC2EC_95B3_4F2B_B4E3_BEBF51BB30B0

I clicked ok and and the application seemed to install then asked me to restart,restarted and pluged my webcam into usb port,message came up,"Cannot install hardware,Invalid Data"

Went to add&remove to try an uninstall but my Pc just froze,after an hour I tried the Task Manger to end the task but it took a half hour for it to pop onto the screen and in the application box stated "Task Manager Not Responding"

The CPU Usage at the bottom was running at 100% I've heard somewhere that that's bad.

I hit end task and it took 20mins to close but I ended up having to push the reset button to shut my pc down as the normal channels just didn't seem to work.

Booted up again and Pc started as normal.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think that an xp disk could help. Try to borrow one of the same version that you have and run sfc /scannow.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Borrowed an XP Pro Reinstall CD SP\2 from my brother and ran the sfc /scannow,rebooted when it finished but I don't know if it has changed anything.

Went to Add&Remove to try the uninstall of Logitech software but same results,computer slowed to a snails pace,got into Task Manager to end processes but that took ages.

In Task Manager it looked like this,

Logitech uninstall Running
Control panel Running
Task Manager Not Responding
Control Panel Not Responding
Task Manager Not Responding
Control Panel Running

The whole computer was really taking ages to obey any commands,almost 2 hours.

I finally got the programs to close but when I got back to my desktop the icons took about a half hour to load and just trying to open a program it took about the same.

I just eventually hit reset button to start my computer and it loaded up as normal,the webcam software is still on the system.

Ran a diagnostic tool (Seatools for Windows)for my hard drive incase it had in anyway to do with it but after two long scans it passed on both.

Sitting scratching my head here....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand the problem. What happens if you leave logicam and not remove it. Is there any effect on your computer?

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
There doesn't seem to be any problems with the system at the moment,it seems only when i try to uninstall the Logitech Webcam.

I really need to get this off my system and do a fresh install as I use it to keep in touch with my relitives around the world.

Any help would be really appreciated.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I would worry about is that in your efforts to remove the program you will cause other, more serious, problems to crop up. It doesn't look good at the moment.

This is for your consideration: Since webcams are quite cheap you may want to buy another one and replace the Logitech. Just leave Logitech dormant.

If you wish to keep trying to remove the program: Download Unlocker from my list of links below. Install it, go to Add/Remove programs, right click the program that you want to remove and see if it works. If it doesn't, go to All Programs in Start menu and try removing it from there.

Advertisements

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you for the advice and the help so far but I really would like to get rid of the program.

I will try the program you suggested.

Edited by Seamey. T, 27 September 2008 - 01:53 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Here is a link to Unlocker.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
well I tried the "Unlocker",tried it in Add&Remover but wasn't able so went with the second option,right clicked and deleted from there,no locks on it.

Even though I 've done that the program's still on my system,looked in C:\Program Files and all the folders are still there.

Should I maybe delete those folders??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you remove the folder without removing the installed program first, then things can become even more complicated. When you remove a program the first step is always to uninstall it. Only then you can remove the program folder from Programs.

Seamey. T

Seamey. T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi,
This is my problem,I can't get it to uninstall in Add,Remove and there is no option in Start,All Programs.

When I try to uninstall in Add,Remove my whole system freezes as stated earlier.

Tried this option,(http://www.theelderg...ll_programs.htm)but couldn't do the first option(Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. Delete the directory.)as I didn't know were to look.

Needless to say this didn't work so I restored my system back.