Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop with Vista failing to recognize ethernet connection

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi G2G,

I'm using an ethernet connection from school. The first time I connected the ethernet cable to my laptop it worked fine. I took my ethernet cable out to untangle some wires, then when I put it back in the internet stopped working! As of now I can only connect to my college's wireless network with internet which is hideously slow. When I put my ethernet cable in it just does nothing. It's like it doesn't recognize it anymore!

Any help is nice,

Thanks

p.s: I'm using Norton Antivirus Trial that came with my laptop. Can this be causing a problem? My internet worked before with it installed, but who knows?

Advertisements

DasFamiliar

DasFamiliar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello Joeturf,

First question I have, is the ethernet port still have the green/amber lights when the ethernet cable plugged in? Secondly, go to Network and Sharing, Manage Network Connections, look for your ethernet connection. After you find that look up status and see what ip it is getting. If you see a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx thats normally a self-assigned ip number. First recommendation is uninstall ethernet adapter driver and reinstall to see if that fixes the problem .

If not, reboot your machine, press F12 at Dell logo post screen. Then go to diagnostics and let that run to make sure there are no hardware problems. If that passes, it sounds like a software issue with the OS. In that case a restore maybe required. But try the first option above first. But post first what results you get with the diagnostic test and uninstalling the ethernet adapter driver. - DasFamiliar