Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

confsed about computers

confsed about computers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
lol im learning a lot about computers but all this technology is kinda overwhelming all at once

i am interested in buying one of these three computers but have no idea which one is better

AMD Sempron Processor 3500
1024 DDR Ram
Nvidia 7900 GTO/GT Graphics Card
D-Link Range Booster Wireless Network Card
160Gig Harddrive
DVD and CD Burner
2 Big Fans
1 LED Big Fan
Silver Xion Case with Blue LED
2 Extra USB Ports

Intel Quad Core Q6600 1066FSB with Go-Stepping
Thermaltake Big Typhoon Copper Alum CPU Heatsink with fan
The Motherboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe with WiFi, 8GB of memory
Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN
Creative Sound Blaster XtremeGamer X-FI
Nvidia EVGA 9800 GTX Superclocked 512Mb Dual DVI conectors plugs and HDMI plug,
western digital SATA2 320GB 16mb cashe hard drive is RAID-0
Cooler Master 700 watt SLI power supply
LG 20x DVD burner in it with light scribe.
Coolermaster CM 690
9 huge 120mm fans

Is it bad if a computer has been overclocked is that bad? Is it bad to overclock? run parts faster than neccessary

cpu:amd dual-core 5000 black box
memory: 4 gb kingston ddr2 (dual channel 800 mhz)
Hard drive:Seagate 320 gb 7200rpm 16mb cache Sata 2
mainboard: Asus mn2-x
Video card: Asus 9800gtx 512 mb
optical:lite-on DL dvd-rw lightscribe
case:Gundam Metal suit mid tower
Power supply:Coolermaster Extreme power 650 watt
gpu cooling:coolermaster hyper gx2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

My vote is for option two. It's a killer-looking system. How do you know this system is overclocked? Are you purchasing this as a used product?

Overclocking is not necessarily "bad", it essentially runs components faster than the manufacturers intended specification. Thus, you can expect a warmer running computer, and a slightly lower lifespan (depending on the level of overclock).

If you didn't want it overclocked any longer when you bought it, all you'd need to do is reset BIOS to defaults.

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Numero duo definitly. It does look awesome and yes overclocking can speed up ur computer and make it perform faster but the life expectancy is brought down. Cheers :)

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I agree with the previous posters; #2 is certainly the most powerful system, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the right one for your needs. You wouldn't nuke a molehill, so why get a powerful computer to just surf the internet when a much cheaper one could do so just as well. So, what will your uses be for the computer? If you will be doing intense gaming and/or lots of video editing, #2 is the way to go. If you will be surfing the internet and maybe using some office applications and casual games, then #1 is a much more economical choice. I don't see #3 factoring in, as it is probably similar in price to #2, but offers much less performance in the CPU area.

As for overclocking, I think the OP was talking about how the GPU in #2 is the EVGA 9800GTX Superclocked. It is a factory overclocked card. This is nothing to worry about, since EVGA cards come with a lifetime warranty. Also, as overclocking a GPU (standard, non-voltmodded overclocking, that is) does not raise the voltages of the GPU, the life expectancy is basically unaffected (as long as cooling is adequate, which won't be a problem for the 9800GTX's dual-slot cooler).

confsed about computers

confsed about computers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
appreciate the responses everyone

and yes i will go with number two although i am not an extreme gamer i do like my movie editing.

thanks again

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
lol, I agree with everyone else. My experience (and everyone elses, from what I've read) is that Intel is far out performing AMD right now. That may change in the future, but right now I'm building all my computers with Intel chips. :)