Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to change the UDMA on my PC

• Please log in to reply

alexmat01

alexmat01

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello All,
This is regarding my Desktop. I was checking the UDMA setting on the My computers --> Primary IDE -- Properties.
I found that the UDMA is set at UDMA 2 .

My motherboard is ASUS K8V-MX and I have AMD 64 bit processor and my HDD is Seagate SATA 80 GB. All of these were bought in Aug 2005, so I assume it should be atleast UDMA 5 or 6.

Why is it that the Auto UMDA detect setting sets this at UDMA 2 and not at 5 or 6.

How do I change this one so that I can have better read speeds/performance on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
UDMA 5 and higher is only available by using an 80 way IDE cable. A 40-way cable only is capable of transferring at UDMA/2 speeds because that's all most CD units can do. You can connect them to 80-way cables and they'll work happily.

The 80 way cable can be identified because its "grooves" are more tightly packed together on the cable as you look as it as opposed to the 40-way cable. These must be used for the higher throughput. That being said, swapping a cable over won't result in a computer flying at the speed of the sound on the next boot; these days more data flies around a PC than it used to so congestion can be an issue as well.

alexmat01

alexmat01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks.

So do you think this would improve the speed substantially that there is a point investing in this.
Guess when u meant CD, you were talking about the HDD ? I was talking about the HDD.
Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

So do you think this would improve the speed substantially that there is a point investing in this.
Guess when u meant CD, you were talking about the HDD ? I was talking about the HDD.

I was talking about the hard drive.
CD units use the data transfer capability of a 40 way cable whereas hard drives can use the capability of the 80-way cable. An 80-way cable can be used on CD units with no problems though they are primiarily for IDE hard drives.

Changing the cable will change the details in the BIOS screen but you may not notice the difference in performance since the figures are all theoretical maximums. Like saying the car has a top speed of 130 miles an hour doesn't mean you're going to be able to drive it at 130mph.