Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

*RESOLVED* 3rd Hard Drive detected in BIOS but NOT in Windows

• Please log in to reply

pretzelLogic

pretzelLogic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I have two WD SATA drives (WD3200AAKS & WD6400AAKS) which have worked fine for a few months. Now I'm trying to install a third SATA drive (another WD6400AAKS).
BIOS detects it on IDE Channel 2 (Master) with correct specs. AHCI and RAID are disabled. During bootup, I can see all 3 drives detected at POST.
My problem is that Windows XP doesn't detect the third drive. When I go to Computer Management > Disk Manager, there's no sign of the drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by pretzelLogic, 27 September 2008 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

pretzelLogic

pretzelLogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I finally figured out the problem. It turns out that in Device Manager, under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" all the previously unused Primary/Secondary IDE Channel devices were set to "None" instead of "Auto Detection" (under the Advanced tab). This was preventing the new drive from being seen in Windows.