Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

windows accessories

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello, a few things

1.My computer is virus free however I seem to be missing my 'recycle bin' on desktop and cant find it anywhere else. I am currently unable to delete desktop icons.

2.Also in start>programs>accessories>_______ im missing 'paint' and 'calculator' and a few other standard windows programs. Oh which by the way I still have access to however need to be located somewhere in 'my computer'.

3.When I save photo files, I am not givin to option to save them as .JPG, i have to save them as .bmp and open them in paint and save as .bmp.

thanks in advance to anyone with help or information.

btw I am operating windows Xp pro just incase youd like to know.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi cody89, Sorry to hear about your problem.

I'm no expert on this stuff but I've had some of my stuff go missing like that to so I'll toss in my .02¢ worth and see if it might help you.

When you say "I am currently unable to delete desktop icons." are you saying that if you right click on an Icon that it doesn't give you the option to delete it?"

I can find, and open my Calculator hiding out at C:\Windows\system32\cal.exe All you have to do if yours is there is right click that little bugger and select "Create Shortcut" from the menu. Then Drag\Drop that thing to where ever you need it. I'm not too sure how you will get it back where it goes on the accessories thingy though.

My MS Paint is hiding out in that same system32 folder too, but I have no idea where that Recycle Bin thing might be hiding out at.

Have you tried --> Start>Control Panel>Add\Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components to see if Accessories and Utilities is kind of grayed out? If it is then you might need to run it to get your stuff back.

I don't know what to say about the photo thing other than I use MS paint to save all of my pics and lots of them are .bmp until I select a folder to stash them in and then reset the file type to .jpg just before I save them.

Well that's all from me. Hope someone with more knowhow than me comes by who can help you out. :)

Good Luck,