Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboots over and over

• Please log in to reply

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello helpful Geeks!
I had this posted in OS but I think it needs to go here:

Hi to all! My ex gave my son his extra computer this weekend. It is a emachine with XP and an AMD Sempion processor 3100+. I tried to load MSN dial up on it and began having problems. It was saying it could not connect because the modem was busy or not properly installed. I called MSN tech and they helped me do a manual connect but as soon as I tried to connect the computer shut off. They said I needed to contact the maker of the computer. Since everything on the computer was the step-brothers we decided to restore the factory settings. Now the the computer starts up, begins to load the desk top, goes black and then starts all over again. The emachine logo comes up along with "Press F11 to start recovery" and then it starts to load the desktop. We have to turn it off at the power strip. I did not see any anti-virus or malware tools on it except for McAfee and the kid had the firewall disabled!! No telling what is in this "Pandora's Box"!!
Please help us!!

Advertisements

wildchild2

wildchild2

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, I have just reset my old computer back to factory settings before selling it and the one thing I had to do was reset the BIOS settings back to "default". I had changed a few things over the years to keep up with updates for things like running dual monitors.

Try resetting that back, I'm not sure exactly how for you but to get into the BIOS on mine I had to tap F8 during bootup. It should be in the manual if you have that. Some systems use the "delete" button instead. It is often on the boot screen, something like "press F8 for settings". Watch for the screen during bootup.

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Good morniing....in Texas at least! I was able to get it back to facory settings and the reboot thing stopped. However, I still cannot connect to the internet to finish the MSN installatiion wizard. The modem (internal SovftV92 Data Fax) troubleshhoter said to check the Com ports. The modem is supposed to be using Com 3. In the device manager the ports listed are:
Communications Port Com 1
Printer Port LPT 1

Whenever I try to connect to finish the Wizard it says Error 633 Modem or other device is already in use or not configured properly. It was the only computer on at the time and I checked the phone line (dial up). It is plugged into the "line" connector on the back. I even tried switching it to the "phone" connector but it made no difference.

I tried the manual connection technique from the previous day and the screen went black and the computer rebooted. It said to press F11 to begin recovery (didn't press F11). I just let it do its "thing" and luckily everything reloaded okay the first time. A message came up on the desktop that Microsoft had recovered from a serious error but I do not understand the error information letters and numbers. Also, I turned the Firewall on and maybe if should be off to do the the Wizard??

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Edited by sparklehorse, 28 September 2008 - 07:43 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Oh dear.

I have mistakenly answered this. :)

Found it in the Waiting Room and thought it was a malware issue.

Apparently not.

Will someone from this forum please take up the case. :)

My apologies.

emeraldnzl

Edited by emeraldnzl, 03 October 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm just wondering if the modem itself is installed properly, or is perhaps faulty?

Let's see what Windows thinks...
  • From the Desktop, right-click on My Computer and select Manage.
  • In the window that appears, select Device Manager from the menu on the left side.
Do you see any yellow question marks or red crosses here? If so, please report what device it's next to (as many as there are).

Cheers

Troy

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello Troy,
I did not see any yellow question marks of red crosses next to anything in the device manager.
Thanks,
Sparklehorse

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to find out if the dial-up modem was in working condition, from the previous owner?

Back at the device manager, right-click on the device and select uninstall. Reboot your computer, and install it again.

If you don't have the correct drivers, you'll need them also. The exact make and model of your computer should help me find which drivers for you.

Cheers

Troy

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The previous owner was using some kind of wireless connection with bluetooth. I followed your steps and unistalled the modem. When the computer restarted it got about 90% of the desktop loaded and then started the reboot again. It cycled twice and then loaded completely. The message came up "new hardware found" but nothing to reinstall it? I went back to the Device Manager and it was already reinstalled. Oh, another new device found note came up for "PCI Simple Communications..." and I have no idea what that is.

The computer is a emachine D3107. It has a ACPI Uniiprocessor, and a SoftV92 Data Fax Modem and a AMD Sempron Processor 3100+.

Hope this helps...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Here is the link to your computer's support page. If you scroll down and click on the [+] next to Downloads, it will open up a small section where you can download all of the drivers for your computer.

The drivers for your modem are the ones at the bottom.

I do not know why your computer had to restart a few times before coming to the desktop, although this is not good. Perhaps we may be able to start identifying what is wrong by doing the following:
  • From the desktop (or Start Menu), right-click My Computer and select Properties.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, select the Settings button.
  • In the System Failure section, uncheck the box that says Automatically Restart.
This may give you a blue screen with white writing, instead of restarting automatically. If the computer is able, it will identify and label for you a STOP error code. Copy that information down exactly and post it here.

The STOP error code may also list a filename or other technical information. Copy down and reply with any information that you think is important. You don't need to worry about writing down the whole "A problem has been detected and..." text.

Here is a link to an example of the Blue Screen, just so you know what to look for.

Cheers

Troy

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Troy,
I cannot use the download links because this computer is not the sick one. The other one will not even connect to the internet. I followed the instructions but I did not see an error code. We are going camping tomorrow afternoon until Sunday but I will check in again before then...right now my brain is spent. Thanks and good night.
Sparklehorse

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You should be able to download the file to your working computer, and then copy it over by USB drive, or burn it on CD, etc...

Troy

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Back again Troy,
I copied the file to a CD andf then put it in the sick computer. I went to the device manager and clicked on update driver. The wizard started and when it said it was preparing to complete the installation the screen went blank all I had was a gray screen. It stayed that way until I turned the computer off. The deasktop came back when I turned it back on and said Microsoft had recovered from a serious error. The error information did not resemble the error code you told me to copy down.
Sorry,
Sparkle

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that's okay,

This is a different error from the one I described. Nonetheless, hopefully something is being recorded in the Event Viewer.

Follow Microsoft's instructions located here. Obviously you are looking to find any errors that are logged around the same time as the error happened that you described above in Post #12.

Copy and paste that information in to your next reply.

Troy

sparklehorse

sparklehorse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Troy,
I appreciate your help but I decided to let his dad take the computer back to have someone look at it. It was too hard to try to communicate on one and fix the other. I will certainly check back when the issue is resolved and use the tools on Geeks to help keep it healthy in the future.
Thanks!
Sparklehorse