Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Slowdown/Reboot - Software or Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Cthulhu111

Cthulhu111

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Windows has started to reboot the entire computer, seemingly at random. When it finally does come back up, everything runs incredibly slow.

Prior to this, I had upgraded to Firefox 3.0.2, then 3.0.3. Also, I noticed the Windows update icon in my taskbar. When it finally said Windows was ready to install Service Pack 3, the computer rebooted in the middle of that, so now I also have a failed Windows update.

More often then not, after the machine reboots, chkdsk starts. I tried letting it run once, but on part 2, verifying indexes, it just hung.

I'm at a loss as to what's messing my computer up.

I'm running WinXp, with Service Pack 2. Norton 360 is usually running. I use Firefox 3.0.3 and Thunderbird for e-mail.

Please help.

Thanks,

-JT

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Usually you are supposed to disable any security software before installing a service pack. Did you disable Norton 360?

What I would do if I were you would be to uninstall Norton 360 (if you have the setup cd with you for reinstall later). You can use this tool to remove all Norton from your system.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...emoval_Tool.exe

Once it is uninstalled, I would attempt to reinstall and finish the service pack 3 installation from a downloaded sp3 file as opposed to windows update.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

I would also backup any important files if applicable.

Cthulhu111

Cthulhu111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Should I be concerned with the incomplete chkdsk attempts at all?

I noticed update.exe in the Task Manager earlier. I killed that process, and things SEEM to be working a little more smoothly.

So, before I try the suggested solution, should I be worried about the failed chkdsk and/or update.exe?

Thanks again,

-JT

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
The update.exe might be like adobe or hp or something... The failed chkdsk I wouldnt worry about untill you finish the update. chkdsk will usually run anytime your computer shuts down improperly.

Make sure the fans in your pc are turning on to ensure your system is not overheating. Backup the critical info on your machine you otherwise couldnt get back. Remove norton. Attempt the sp3 update from the standalone file. Then when all is done, let chkdsk run or manually run it. See if it will finish. Reinstall norton. etc...

Cthulhu111

Cthulhu111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
This is taking a while for me. Reboot in the middle of the 300+ MB Service Pack 3 download, and some reboots while backing up some data.

Before I go ahead and try this fix, should I be worried that I'm unable to back some data up, because Windows says it can't read the source disk for certain files?

-JT

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Yes this can be a bad thing if you have documents you do not want to lose... Sounds like your system got messed up bad.

You may try entering safemode to backup (this may prevent windows from shutting down all the time). Enter safemode by booting you pc and hitting the F8 key untill you see the option.

As an alternative if safe mode doesnt work and you have a second hard drive and/or computer somewhere that you could possibly hook this hard drive into, you could transfer the files off.

Backup first as it is the most important thing to do.

If you do get to the point of installing sp3 again, you may also want to try installing it through safe mode as well if applicable. You dont want to try installing it through continuous reboots.

Make sure you also try to remove norton, it may be part of the issue of the reboots. I am not sure though.

Cthulhu111

Cthulhu111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Apparently, the Service Pack 3 file didn't save, because I can't find it anywhere. I'll have to try downloading it again.

I did get Norton uninstalled.

Last time I tried getting into save mode, it stalled while it was installing the files onto the partition it creates, so I don't know if I can try installing the service pack that way.

-JT

Cthulhu111

Cthulhu111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Unfortunately, after taking about 7 hours running through the Service Pack 3 update, it stopped because it couldn't find a file in the system32 folder, and when I told it to skip it, about 15 seconds later, reboot. Further attempts to run the update seemed a bit faster, but ultimatly, the machine would reboot again.

I'm resorting to completing the build of a PC I had started a while back. I don't think that install of Windows XP on my current box is recoverable.

Thanks for the help,

-JT

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
No problem. Remember next time before you install the service pack #1 don't shut off the computer during the update. #2 disable antivirus/security software (which could prevent the service pack from making changes to your computer like it needs to). and #3 don't do anything while its running (browse the web etc...)

Keep the standalone sp3 package, it makes it easy to install sp3 later if you need to.

I usually have a 3 hour rule in working with pc's "If you try to repair the pc and it takes longer than 3 hours with no real success or progression, it is easiest to backup and wipe the thing. Because backing up usually takes an hour, reinstalling takes an hour, updates take an hour... After that you've got your programs to reinstall, but in the end you have a clean machine and it's usually much quicker than spending days fighting an issue.

Good luck to you.