Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming Computer build.

• Please log in to reply

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Yes i know there are many topics out there about a computer but they can't all be the same right? Those are my computers current specs. They are horrible and my computer is extremely slow. I know people post these posts with idea's and what not of what they want but i don't have many. But here is somewhat of an idea:
2+Gbs of Ram.
500gbs of HDD- My current computer has only 40gbs so i think this is going to be a dramatic increase and it's for the better.
Intel motherboard/processor i believe i found the ones i would probably use- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115036
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813121315
I don't need a mouse, keyboard, OS ( i own a xp disk) or a monitor.
I would love to have some help. Sorry for another one of these "cheap computer builds." Threads but i appreciate the responses.

Edited by Joe Gran, 27 September 2008 - 01:32 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

I don't need a mouse, keyboard, OS ( i own a xp disk) or a monitor.

You cannot legally take your old copy of XP and put it on a new computer, you need to buy a new product key, and that will run you about $90. If you try and take the key from your old computer and put it in the new one, you'll run into issues when you try and activate it.

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
That is very true. But if you bought the Business version where you can install on any computer like i have it's quite simple.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Joe Gran, welcome to GeeksToGo!
Is there a specific reason why you went with a Micro ATX motherboard? The list below includes an ATX motherboard.

I made a list for you and hope this helps. I went off budget but we can downgrade some components to meet your $600 budget.
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 - $189.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L - $84.99
RAM: A-DATA DDR2-800 2x1GB - $34.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB - $69.99
Video Card: EVGA 9600GT - $109.99 (with a $25 Mail-In-Rebate)
DVD-drive: Pioneer 22X - $26.99
Computer case with powersupply: Antec Sonata III with a 500Watt power supply - $129.99
Total - $646.93

You can save some money by downgrading to an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, difference is minimal however if you're a heavy overclocker then the E8500 is the way to go (with the Gigabyte board, I believe Intel boards are not good for overclocking, don't quote me on that though).
The video card is not as good but it still performs very nice however if you can spare some money, you can get an 8800GT and performs better than the 9600GT. It's the same price without the Mail-in-Rebate.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 29 September 2008 - 10:07 AM.

Joe Gran

Joe Gran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
There was not a true reason why i went with an ATX board. Having no knowledge its just a board i got off newegg. If you wanted to suggest a better board feel free too. Will that computer be upgradable for future items? Thanks for your time. :)

Edited by Joe Gran, 29 September 2008 - 04:54 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

kamille316's list looks pretty good to me. Depending on what you want to upgrade down the road, there a few things it could handle. :)

You sure could do a lot worse if you really tried! :)

Troy