Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows XP Installation

• Please log in to reply

eyesdeepblue

eyesdeepblue

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I downloaded a communication manager program from AT&T onto my Dell XPS, which was meant for a lap top. Now my desktop's keyboard and mouse will not work. I've tried to reload XP but it will not completly setup. I'm unsure about the correct settings on the utility setup (F-2). Please help me find a solution? :)

Edited by eyesdeepblue, 27 September 2008 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The fact it's for a laptop shouldn't really make any difference I wouldn't have thought.
If in doubt about the settings in the BIOS Setup/F2 screens, leave them alone.

If there's nothing on the computer you want (and it now sounds like your XP is totally screwed up), the easiest solution is to just wipe the machine with your Dell XP CD, then use the other disk to reinstall all the drivers.

eyesdeepblue

eyesdeepblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
How do I wipe out the machine? I only have one disc, the operating system reinstallation disc (which did not completly install, probably since my keyboard & mouse doesn't work completly) and several driver and application discs. Please advise me how to do this from scratch? :)

By the way, if your wondering how I'm writing this, I'm using my mom's laptop which is connected to my router. I also called Dell, but they refused to help me since my desktop is 4 years old and I have no warranty. I found this forum and hope for an answer :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
First thing to try is built-in system recovery. When on the first Dell screen, hold down CTRL and press F11. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

The alternative is using your Dell XP CD.

Here you go:
http://www.blackvipe...tallxphome1.htm

You don't need to make any disks, Service Pack 3 you can download later and Steps 4 and 22 (on the "Next Page" link at the bottom) don't apply. Steps 30 and 31 you can ignore, Step 32 won't apply from the Dell disk either.

Then you can use the Dell Drivers disk to reinstall the rest of the drivers which will let you go back online, while the applications disk will allow you to reinstall stuff like Sonic that may have come with the computer originally.

Fa

eyesdeepblue

eyesdeepblue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help!

I've posted my problem on Black Viper's BBS........