Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Validation killed media player

• Please log in to reply

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When I try to play a music CD, WMP says: "validate your copy of windws"..
I don't remember OKing the download or install of MediaPlayer 11, and my older version of WMP worked fine until a week or so ago.What the heck is up with microsoft killing a working program on my computer, my anger level is VERY high right now, I'd pimpslap Bill Gates if I ran into him on the street!
I KNOW MS is trying to prevent piracy of their OS, and apparantly there is some problem with my copy of XP. When I tried to update to SP2, my OS failed validation..This computer is a hand-me-down, but is from the most law-abiding dude I have ever met...The machine was originally a Win98 computer, that he installed XP on when his original XP machine was damaged in a move. I think that since this OS was originally installed (and registered) to a different CPU, MS thinks its a bootleg, even though I SAW him install it from the original CD-ROM, which was given to him by a corporation for use on his home machine to be able to work at home, so it is definitely not some hacked bootleg copy.
I put off updating to SP2 in fear MS would disable my OS if it did not validate, but the need to avoid viruses overrode my paranoia. Well, it failed to validate through the Windows Genuine Advantage bull****, the reason being that "the product key did not match". I do not have the key for this XP, but MS is supposed to be able to remotely read it anyway. I tried the Win98 key from the back-of-machine sticker , but no go with that # either. A few days later, trying again, I recieved a different error , that "this product key was not issued by Microsoft". It seems they can't even get their excuses right.
Despite not being able to manually upgrade, over the next few weeks, the MS popup "updates are available for your computer" appeared....The digital signature from MS was OK'd by my firewall, and lo and behold It automatically installed not just SP2, but a week or two later SP3!
MS did not magically find out my OS is legit, as I still cannot manually access any upgrades....
Which brings me to the Media Player problem, somehow my OS was "legit" enough to download MP11, but IT WILL NOT RUN unless I go through their ineffective validation...And I cannot remove the WGA validation program with control panel's "add and remove programs" either.
How can I get back my old, working version of MP? Or do I have to give up, install Linux and tell Mr. Gates where to go and what to eat???

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's not difficult to download Media Player 11, it just won't install on a non-genuine copy of Windows. Defender and Media Player 11 will download but not install.

Having said that the best thing to do is go back to Windows Update since the validation tool is regularly updated and there are occasions where it'll blacklist genuine keys which of course a newer version of the validation tool would solve. This is especially the case with some corporate keys, even more so if those keys are leaked.

If you have access to the product key, Google it. If it shows up in Google it's probably blacklisted and that'll explain the issues you're having.

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Mr.Jones,

Thanks for replying,but I think my state of mind at time of posting made me a little unclear in stating the problem...
It seems that MP11 did download but not install due to the key issue.
I DO NOT have access to the product key! Or I probably would not have this issue. If I did, I would have just sent a copy of it and a picture of my CPU and a sworn statement from the original owner (if i had contact with him to get the key) via snail mail to MS headquarters and been politely demanding..
I still worry that repeated tries to validate failing will result is MS disabling my entire OS somehow..then I would have to re-learn assembler and become a really peeved-off virus writer and attack MS corporate HQ. I have better things do do with my time though.... :)
Can I just download an older version of MP from somewhere and block updating to it?

Thanks,
Steve I.

PS--last night MS auto-updated IE to version 7, and it runs just fine.... Go figure

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
IE7 doesn't need validation.

How to find your key:
http://www.magicalje.../keyfinder.html

Google the key you get. If it shows up in Google, its non genuine.
By the way, hacking anybody is a criminal offence. But I'm sure you knew that :)

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Neil,
For the record, I was being facetious with the hacking comment. I have neither the skills not the time to acquire them for such endeavors. If I DID have the skills, I wouldn't waste my time on MS, I would hack suspicious kennels' websites and find out who's promoting dog fighting, then alert the proper authorities...
Anyway, IE is of no interest to me anyway, I'm a FF diehard. It's a FAR superior product, and infinitely more productive with the right add-ons.
IE may not need validation, but I'm pretty sure the XP service packs do..
I'll let you know how jellybean goes, but I still have a question...Where can I get an older version of Media player, or a good 3rd party alternative? There is so much trash on the net I cannot make an informed decision on this easily just by searching....( I have a pet peeve with the term "googleing", as I do not use Google for several reasons, but I guess it sounds better than "altavista-ing, or "Scirusing" :) )

Thanks for the Jbean tip
Steve

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Neil,

Ok, I searched and found out that my key is a corporate key that was hacked and publicly distributed a long time ago, and so is probably blacklisted.
HOWEVER, I KNOW that when it was installed on my machine many years ago it was a legit key, my friend who gave me the machine installed it right in front of me from with the original CDs (his machine that it was originally used on was damaged,and the company gave him a totally new work-from-home computer)

I know the name of the company he worked for at the time and his name, is it possible that Microsoft would OK the key for my (formerly his) CPU specifically?

My only fears: 1- Was it legal for him to copy the OS onto another (second) machine, even though the first had long since been landfilled? I do not want him to get in any hot water.
2-Second, can MS disable my OS somehow because they think my OS is pirated?

Thanks for your time again,

Steve

PS--I really do not want to go near any of those hacked-software sites(for a working key), just searching for mine caused Avast! to blast and a warning through my speakers (very welcomed), halt me, and block loading the web page, basically saving my butt.
I just want to be able to play CDs on my computer again ! I'll switch to Linux eventually, but need to use Windows for professional reasons often, so I can't just wipe it away...

Edited by SteveFAL, 29 September 2008 - 10:51 PM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
WinAmp is a good alternative to WMP - and free!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
What happened many years ago is, with all due respect, irrelevant.
The fact of the matter is your key is blacklisted and you'll never get Media Player 11 on that computer with that product key.

To answer the questions:

1) If it were an OEM licence legally it died with the machine. A retail licence is transferable providing its only in use on one machine at one time.

2) No but you'll get constant nag screens about it through the Genuine Validation program which also restricts access to Windows Defender, Media Player 11 and a whole range of downloads from Microsoft's website.

SteveFAL

SteveFAL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Neil,

Thanks for the clarification...I still find it strange that MS updated me automatically first to SP2 then to SP3. Could this be a bug at Microsoft? Gosh no! :)

1) If it were an OEM licence legally it died with the machine. A retail licence is transferable providing its only in use on one machine at one time.

So if it (the OS ) was from work and the machine goes CPU-up the OS key gets a spot in the coffin alongside? But if it is bought at a retail store, you can reinstall on new machine provided the old one is provably deceased? e.g. save the cracked-in-half CPU for the validation police

I guess I'm SOL :) :) :)

So if some criminal works for,say, DMV, and gives their multi-machine OEM keys away to a software-pirating site, the DMV can never get upgrades for their computers??
Or is it that only the little guys suffer as usual....

ANYWAY, Winamp is too resource-intensive even without browser running it has trouble and stutters a lot...Any suggestions for something smaller, or should I give up playing music on the computer and just set up another stereo w/CD player near my computer. It's a good excuse to buy some new speakers, even if they cost more than a new computer. :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Check out foobar, extremely light on resources and imo far better than winamp in every way