Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

keyboard trouble

• Please log in to reply

deepal

deepal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a compaq presario laptop. Suddenly some keys on my keyboard are typing double letters.Foreg , if i type H , it types HM..etc.I ran a system restore twice ,and it got back to normal for a couple hours and then began doing the same thing again. when i connected an external keyboard to it , it worked just fine. I've run spyware and virus scans , but no problems. Could this be just a hardware issue?If yes , then howcome it worked when I did system restore and then failed again?
this is my second post , any response would be appreciated.
thanx

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
it sounds like you've got some kind of malware overwriting the keyboard driver. it would be an unfortunate coincident that the keyboard just happened to work after a system restore. for now let's look at the driver and assume the hardware is ok.

you might want to submit a hijackthis log now, and try a driver reinstall while waiting for a malware expert to evaluate your log. there is a link at the top of this page "start here".

driver evaluation:
go into device manager and look at the devices under keyboard. you probably have at least 2 - the original keyboard and the external keyboard. if you see any yellow "!" in the list, remove all of the devices, then restart the pc(win98) or use add hardware wizard(xp) to reinstall the keyboard. if the device is not removed, windows usually will not reinstall a driver if one is already present.
look at the keyboard list immediately after the reinstall - any red "x" or yellow"!"?
if the keyboard happens to work, it may be temporary. if it works, then starts failing, look at the keyboard list for the red or yellow flags after it fails.

deepal

deepal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well , i shouldve stated before, that a driver reinstall ( thrice!)is one of the first things i tried when i first encoutered this problem.however it did not seem to make a difference.!
is there anything else that could be done?

deepal

deepal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've even made sure all the regional and language settings were set to English U.S.coz i was told sometimes that interferes with keyboard orientation. That too did not work. :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
was the old driver removed before the new one was installed? if so, I would go with the HJT log.

deepal

deepal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes , i made sure i removed the old driver before i reinstalled. I could try a HJTlog , but I'd have to open internet explorer to download it and go to the geekstogo website. Problem is , the minute i type the word".com" , or rather type the letter C , everything i typed before it gets deleted. Also G types as GV! So how do i even go about it?!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
can you cut and paste the url? or use the other keyboard?

deepal

deepal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well , cant cut paste , coz i cant even type in MS Word , plus I'd have to get to the link to select, cut and paste. I'm gonna have to figure out a way , coz im posting these messages from my office computer while my laptop sits at home! the only time i could connect it to another keyboard would be if i brought it into my office(which is not the most appropriate thing!:tazz:), coz i dont own one!
but thanks for the input anyway. If you do come across another solution , please post a reply
thanx

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
maybe some else will post a solution, later on.

cut and paste alternative:
copy any links you need to a file
copy the file to a floppy(zip, cd,..)
open the text file and cut from there

or copy hijackthis to a floppy, or email it as an attachment

deepal

deepal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanx , didnt even think of that as an alternative!