Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer - Slow to open, Sometimes "Not Responding"

• Please log in to reply

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Greetings!

Whenever I try to access the My Computer window, it takes 15 - 20 seconds for the items to appear. I often get the swinging flashlight and many times the flashlight will stop swinging for 5 - 10 seconds. There is minimal disk access activity during this pause.

Once the My Computer pane fills in with my drives and document folders, it takes another 15 - 20 seconds before I can access any of the items.

For example, if I click on a disk drive, it might take 15 - 20 seconds before it opens. If I click on a drive too soon after it appears in My Computer, I will get (Not Responding) in the title bar and it takes even longer to open the drive. It is My Computer that is not responding, not the drive I am trying to access.

Once any given drive is open, I can navigate around at "normal speed" but if I try to back out to My Computer, it once again takes a long time to fill in the My Computer window.

In addition, if a My Computer is open in the task bar and I have another app on top, clicking on the My Computer button will cause a blank or "clear" My Computer window which once again takes 15 - 20 seconds to fill in.

What could be causing this anoying problem?

Thanks!

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Heyo DerbyDad!

A lot of the time this is a printer problem. Uninstalling the printer drivers and reinstalling proves to be affective usually. Do you have a printer? If so - make and model please. :)

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
A bit more on the printer train of thought...

have a look in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and see if there are any documents stuck in the spooler

If there are entries in here boot to SAFE MODE (F8 at boot up) and delete tham ALL

Then try a normal boot

Good Luck

Baudy! :)