Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive continues to run after Microsoft Update

• Please log in to reply

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and I hope this is the right place to post this problem/question.

I am using Vista Home Premium 64 bit and after updating the software my hard drive seems to continue running as if it's trying to start a program. The rotating circle next to the cursor arrow comes on every few seconds as if a program is trying to start.

I have used Sandra Lite and Windows Task Manager to try to figure out what program may be acting up but with some many processes running and my lack of knowledge about what to look for I am at a loss here.

Any help or suggestions as to what may cause my problem or a program I can get to heck for this particular problem would be greatly appreciated! If any other info is needed please let me know, thanks!

Advertisements

Jeff Berndsen

Jeff Berndsen

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
When you go into task manager, can you sort the list by CPU usage. If you do this, what are the applications that are using the mose CPU time?

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Jeff,

I think I fixed the problem for now. What I did was do a system restore and got rid of all the updates and it seems to working fine for now. Sooner or later I will have to update windows and I'm afraid if I do that the same problem will recur. Any suggestions for future use would be appreciated. So checking the CPU usage is a good indicator of what is running?