Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen when trying to boot XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Reddoug

Reddoug

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Hi All

Have a friends HD. He had taken the computer to a repair shop and they told him HD was bad and replaced it. I have the old hard drive. When it tries to boot I get a blue screen with error message that it stops to protect computer with error 0x0000007B (0x88CD528, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) If I hook up HD as a slave, I can view contents of the drive. I scanned drive and found and removed some viruses and a trojan horse. It still will not boot and get same error message. Could the boot sector of drive be corrupt? can I do a repair with Windows disk?

Thanks Doug

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run HD diagnostic: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Did you format this HD?

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
I have not formatted the drive as there is information on it that I will have to copy to a cd. I was trying to find away to restore the drive. Will try your sugestion.

Thanks, Doug

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
From time saving point of view, your best approach is to run HD diagnostic, first. If HD is bad, you're done.
If HD is fine, save all data, remove all partitions, and format.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Ran the program and was found bad sector. Got what info was need and was able to repair bad sector with the program. What can I use to set the partition and format the hard drive. When I have drive hooked to secondary IDE cable the drive shows up in the BIOS but not in my computer. I am pretty sure that is because the partition is not set and formatted.

Thanks, Doug

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me make sure...now, you have your friend's HD hooked up in your computer as a slave?

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Yep. Told me today that I can keep it. He is not into computers for anything than email and pictures. Told him he could use it for storage. Still did not want it back.

Doug

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

What can I use to set the partition and format the hard drive

Go Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management, and right click on slave drive.

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Doug

Reddoug

Reddoug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts