Antivirus XP 2008 is a Rogue Anti-Spyware Program.
The tool is, in essence, a scare tactic employed by malware authors in an attempt to gain revenue.
The program will produce tons of bogus results and persistently shows you warnings of non-existent threats.
Its final goal is to trick you into purchasing the software, promising to remove these 'infections' that don't even exist!
Where does it come from?
*Fake codecs from adult sites.
*Sites promoting cracks and warez are also common places to find this infection.
How to remove Antivirus XP 2008
There are a few tools that target and remove Antivirus XP 2008.
One of the simplest ways is to run MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware.
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here or Here
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
- The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.
Please take note that Antivirus XP 2008 comes bundled with many infections, often seen with popular infections such as virtumundo aka vundo.
If after following the above instructions you are still experiencing problems, please feel free to post a Hijack This log in our Malware Forums.
We ask that you please read and follow the instructions in this thread before posting a log.
Edited by Mike, 29 September 2008 - 08:26 AM.