Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I enable my firewall on PC

• Please log in to reply

zanachi

zanachi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Hi-Speed internet with comca.. Can I enable (protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing
access to this computer from the internet)Firewall.. I have Wxp and a single comp. connect to the internet .I read that ICF (cable moden) if I enable the Firwall it will interfire with the operation of file sharing and other VPN function... I will like to know in I can Check mark to enable, because i'm trying to protect my computer from outsider user.. like person with Ipod touch can used my internet signal whit out me knowing..How can protect my self of that please advise me, any help will be appreciate Thanks an advance..

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can, and you should turn Windows firewall on. It's dangerous out there.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

like person with Ipod touch can used my internet signal whit out me knowing

You will need to secure your router (or modem) to get this result.

if I enable the Firwall it will interfire with the operation of file sharing and other VPN function...

Possibly. Sometimes a firewall does this, but you can make exceptions for it.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 29 September 2008 - 03:53 AM.

zanachi

zanachi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the answers... Where or how can I protect my router can you tell me how.... Thank's again

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
http://www.practical...less_secure.htm
This article should offer enough information.

Regards,
Olrik

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I would personally recommend using ZoneAlarm Firewall (Windows 2000/XP) 7.0.483

A totally free,Yet very effective firewall...

" ZoneAlarm is designed to protect your DSL- or cable-connected PC from hackers. This program includes four interlocking security services: a firewall, an application control, an Internet lock, and Zones. The firewall controls the door to your computer and allows only traffic you understand and initiate. The Internet lock blocks Internet traffic while your computer is unattended or while you're not using the Internet, and it can be activated automatically with your computer's screensaver or after a set period of inactivity. Zones monitor all activity on your computer and alert you when a new application attempts to access the Internet. Version 7.0.483 is a bug fixing release "

C-net offers a Video to help you get set-up if you have trouble...

If you wish to check it out visit : http://www.download....cdlPid=10864451

Good luck and Happy computering

Anthony

Edited by Anthony19, 23 October 2008 - 11:10 PM.