Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mass copy from Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

Schneemann

Schneemann

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Long story short, I've had some major computer problems and I'm going to have to reformat my C: drive. I can still access my stuff from the Recovery Console and I was hoping to have it copy onto my external hard drive overnight and reformat when I got home tomorrow. However, it appears that the copy command doesn't support wildcards or directory copies. Is there any way to get the files I need onto my external drive without having to manually copy every single one?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yeah, plug the hard drive from the broken computer into the computer you are using now as a slave and move the files over to the external hard drive, which you would also have connected to this computer.

Schneemann

Schneemann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, I did that and managed to copy some of my stuff, but whenever I try to access My Documents (which is where most of the stuff I need is) I get "Access is Denied."

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to take ownership of the files. The link below will help you do that:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Fenor