Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What's a virus/bug/bad and what is not?

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Just finished a anti-virus scan.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore ~ ( = more) is Spyware? Or is it the restore points I just made last night?

Same item under Infections - along with . . .
D:\I386\APPS|APP18930\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB
D:\I386\APPS|APP18930\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB:\bitsadmin.exe

I just don't want to remove something I will need later on!

Much thanks for time and thoughts.

bamakodaker

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sounds like your AV found some previous system restore points that were infected, do this to fix that

Now we need to create a new System Restore point.

Click Start Menu > Run > type (or copy and paste)

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press OK. Choose Create a Restore Point then click Next. Name it and click Create, when the confirmation screen shows the restore point has been created click Close.

Next goto Start Menu > Run > type

cleanmgr

Click OK, Disk Cleanup will open and start calculating the amount of space that can be freed, Once thats finished it will open the Disk Cleanup options screen, click the More Options tab then click Clean up on the system restore area and choose Yes at the confirmation window which will remove all the restore points except the one we just created.

To close Disk Cleanup and remove the Temporary Internet Files detected in the initial scan click OK then choose Yes on the confirmation window.

As for the others, they seem like false positives

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I have two Spyware items still sitting in AVG's Scan Results window. When one was tried to be removed
Moved object is bigger than the Archive size limit. It gives choices of Ignore or go to file.

Does this mean I have removed something I should not have?

I do notice it shows the Infection is Adware Toolbar CJ.

bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 29 September 2008 - 08:46 AM.