Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gradient Banding Suddenly

• Please log in to reply

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I've been working on this same laptop for almost two years now and have only had minor glitches (as discussed in other topics in this forum). I work on the thing every day, almost the entire day. In the past few weeks, I have noticed that my gradients come out banded. Even tiny gradients created in Photoshop appear banded. All the work I've done previously now appears blocky on my screen, yet comes up perfect on the Macs we use at university or any other PC. As a Graphic Designer, this is an immense problem as I NEED to be able to see the exact colours and gradients to go to print...I haven't changed any settings recently, it literally happened from one day to the next. Any suggestions? I've googled and checked my gamma settings as well as the monitor setup, nothing has changed recently.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
For your kind of work a laptop/lcd screen is most unsuitable -- I'm surprised you don't appear to know that. Neither do gamma settings work with laptop/lcd screens. Adobe's position is that Adobe Gamma is not compatible with those types of screen. You should be using either a CRT monitor or a top-end graphic-design quality lcd monitor.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
The 15.4 inch Trubrite display (HD ready) has served me perfectly up to this point (due to good calibration). Even under normal circumstances it didn't do too badly. And of course i know a top-end lcd is the answer, but who can afford that on a student's income...(if you can call it that)? I still don't know why it has suddenly started banding gradients after two years...?

Edited by BlackHalo, 29 September 2008 - 10:23 PM.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Maybe you've just been lucky the last 2 years???????

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Somehow I doubt that....