Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios picks up no harddrives

• Please log in to reply

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ive been playing with this computer someone gave up on because of a supposed "hardDrive Failure" well i tried to boot it up and the computer did sa its a hard drive failure but when i check hte bios it says theres no harddrive installed or its an unkown device. So i figured what the heck ill just put one of my hard drives in it well that hard drive that works in another computer for sure produces the same results with this pc also a new problem has arisen the Hard drive that was originaly in the computer now beeps when there is power given to it and yes its the hard drive not the motherboard beeping its a maxtor diamond max 8 regardless hte pc doesnt detect any hard drive i put in it why?

this is an old dell 4600 and on dells sight it says the harddrive is suppose to be a hitachi hard drive but the one i found in the computer is a maxtor drive they said no one replaced the ahrddrive but they did take it to a computer repair store that was going to charge them 80dollars for a new harddrive they didnt take the deal and took it home did that company gank the original hdd and put this dumb maxtor in or did dell put it in when they sold it

Edited by alestor666, 29 September 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a desktop or laptop?
I would load the bios defaults and see what happens. You could also get the HD test program from the manufacturer and eliminate the drive.
Make sure that the data cable is plugged in right.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the computer isn't detecting any hard drive you put in it, including ones which work in other systems, then try the following...
(I'm assuming this is an IDE (PATA) drive, not a SATA one so correct me if I'm wrong)

Using the 'known good' hard drive:

1) change the IDE ribbon cable for one which you know works ok.
make sure the ribbon cable is inserted the right way round. Most IDE ribbon cables have different coloured plastic connectors (usually blue, black & grey). Make sure the blue connector is connected to the motherboard & the hard drive is connected to the opposite end of the cable (not the middle connector).

2) If that doesn't work then try connecting the hard drive to the other IDE port (the one that you'd normally connect CDROM drives to)