Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

supported memory

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
i'm looking to buy memory for a mobo im going to buy, asus p5ql pro.
the memory potential is 4x240 pin ddr2 1066.

so doing research, i found an asus vendor list for memory for this mobo.

i wanted to get a 2GB memory stick at 1066 speed, but only 1 is listed.
most of the 2GB supported memory is in the 800 range.

does my memory need to be on this list?

i was thinking about getting this ... but its not on that vendor list, so im confused.
Kingston HyperX 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Edited by washout, 29 September 2008 - 06:00 PM.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Basically, the list given by the motherboard manufacturer is usually just the memory that they have tested themselves, it's not exhaustive.
That said, I checked on Kingstons website as well. When you select that particular motherboard from the list, Kingston do not list that HyperX module as one of the compatible ones...

If you want to be certain of buying memory that's compatible, then I suggest you stick with a module that either appear in Asus's list or in the list generated for that board by one of the memory manufacturers.