Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\Users\ (vista os) -->?--> E: (WinXP).

• Please log in to reply

Shuh

Shuh

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have 2 HDDs. 1 of them is cut in 2 partitions.
HDD1: C: , E:
HDD2: D:

C: (Vista ultimate 64bit) Comp's Name = ShuGamma, User's name = Felix
E: (Windows XP pro) Comp's Name = shuhkek, User's Name = FelixKEK
D: Files (music/videos/etc.)

Note<Edit2>: My GVA drivers always had issues with vista. I talked to other ppl and they said it was better to run it on XP for now. So since its a new computer and that I had an untouched and empty partition of HDD1, I decided to install WinXP Pro... and yes, drivers run well :). I was able to install latests ATI drivers and CCC with no bug, same for other drivers... (in comparasion with same thing on vista that was causing ALOT OF isues such as not installing drivers and CCC correctly, etc)
The thing that made me install XP though (wasnt the driver issues) it was because my GVA was making triangles and polygons ingame(sometimes) and was at 50celcius degree when doing nothing... Since I couldnt install the latest drivers I decided to go the way that would remove all the issues... so I installed XP on the E:\ ...

I started the fan fix (4850 fan fix) <GVA is a EAH4870 but its the same fan issue> ... and well, since the only way I could access the AppData was in Users and that I could only access Users from C:\
I edited the fankek file... wich was on manual and at 60 like supposed (like if you would fix the fan issue)... I was surprised it wasnt lowering the temperature of the GVA though. So I went to 95 of fan use. Nothing changed.
So later I discover what was the issue. The file that CCC was reading from wasn't fankek(i did the file back on vista and than installed xp (after someone i know and works in computers and had the same issue as me with almost the same gva ( hd4850)). it was the new one i did after installing XP and I thought I had modified; fanfixkek . . .
So I tried to Find a way to get to AppData to edit the file to fix the fan issue... but even after searches/etc, it is only located on C:\

Side note: Also, since I installed XP on my E:\ It loads XP when I start my computer without asking me if I want to run Vista or XP and I cant find how to go on Vista OS when running the computer. I can access the C:\ fine ofcourse but theres not really any point since all my files other than programs are on D:\ and Im not sure its a good thing(or just will work) to run Programs installed for vista with Win XP...

So basically what happened is that edited the file i made earlier named fankek in the fan fix thing...
Whole thing is that the one that was supposed to be edited was fanfixkek...
why? because the only Users section (named Felix) is in C: (Vista)... however I installed drivers/etc on E: for WinXP (and it worked wayyy better than on C: with Vista)
So.. since I cannot find any E:\Users\ or any FelixKEK or any fanfixkek file on any of the 3 HDD's partitions... I'm like... doh! Plus the fanfixkek file is the one used by CCC to set the fan...(making a new one wouldnt fix the problem it'd be the same exact thing...)

So basically... how can I create a E:\Users\ ???
Or, if i cant make the above, how can I fix this issue... ?

I know that Vista lets you move the User files to a dif drive but...it happens to be a dif drive but mostly a different OS...

Help would be really appreciated :)

Edit3: Basically. The best Ive come up to in E:\ is C:\Documents and Settings \Felix\Local Settings\Application Data
I don't really know why its not FelixKEK though but o well... Than there's ATI>ACE but there's really nothing in ACE.
Normally the way would be (on vista drive) C:\Users\Felix\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles

-Shuh

Edit: If you want to know what makes me want to do such a thing. Read this topic: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t213288.html
Edit2: Added the whole story above. So no need to read other topic.
Edit3:Update.

Edited by Shuh, 30 September 2008 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements