Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Yes, blue screen 0x0000007E

• Please log in to reply

Sarge_Maximus2

Sarge_Maximus2

• Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, my computer just started getting slow two days ago and it began to show me the blue screen. I backed up what I could before it simply went to the blue screen right from the get go. In other words, I pressed power, it started up, but instead of a welcome screen, I got the blue screen. I don't remember what the error was there. But anyways, I decided I had no choice but to reinstall my OS, so I did. Now, I was under the impression this would erase all data and start anew, so imagine my surprise when the blue screen came back when I was trying to recover from a cd some of my backed up files. Anyways, I'm worried it's my harddrive. I've tried using the windows repair module, but there isn't one with my cd. It only gives me the options to either restore the computer to out of box state, or erase it entitrely (I went to out of box state, btw) and yes, I've tried pressing "R" when the menu comes up, and nothing. I can't burn cd's either because that seems to be what is causing the problems, any CD activity. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
What steps are you taking exactly in the process of re-installing?

It is possible your backed up files contain a virus or spyware that may be causing an issue when you copy them back over?

Personally to me it sounds more like a hardware issue but to be sure it is not I would try doing the following.

Restore the system to factory using your cd.

Install the latest service pack (service pack 3) http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Install your preferred security software/antivirus.

Then copy/restore your documents.

If you get the blue screen before you even complete the second one, chances are it is a hardware issue that will need to be fixed. This is assuming you follow those steps and that your restore cd does completely format (erase) the previous contents of the drive.

I know this doesn't help much, but it is what I would do at this point in the game.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Memtest86+ is a comprehensive, stand-alone memory diagnostic tool. Basically, you need to put it to a diskette or cd to install the tool which will be later used to boot your computer and then perform the test....get it here
for floppy get the 6th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
for the cd version get the 8th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

There are two ways to run Memtest86....

1. Using a floppy diskette.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.zip
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now to install the utility on a diskette.

Double-click on install.bat then follow the promps to create the bootable diskette.
Boot computer via floppy disk.
Once loaded, the test will automatically run itself.
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key

2. Using a cd.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.iso.zip.
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now "burn image" (memtest.iso) to a cd using Nero or any burning program you have that will burn .ISO files (image)

Set the bios to boot computer using the CD drive...or floppy first...depending which version of memtest you got...
the test will automatically run itself as soon as you boot up
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key...if you want a thourogh test...let it run overnite...if you get ANY ERRORS you will have to replace the ram

Sarge_Maximus2

Sarge_Maximus2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Seems to me that it would have to be hardware. After reading your replies. And thank you btw.

So, is it pointless to run these tests? I mean, sure I could try them but I figure I'm wasting my time and should just replace the RAM. My question is, is this what I should do? Or is there something else it could be that, even if I did replace the RAM, it wouldn't be fixed? Or will the replacing of the RAM fix it most definately?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
If you run the memtest like the tech said, it will determine whether or not your RAM is faulty (which is hardware and known to cause issues like the ones you are having).

It is unlikely that your RAM became faulty over time but possible.

If you do the memtest you can knock that suspect out of the way and continue on with other ideas.

It is not pointless to run the tests... If you went out and spent $30-$80 on new RAM when you didn't need to, that'd be pointless.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 30 September 2008 - 09:28 AM.

Sarge_Maximus2

Sarge_Maximus2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I suppose I just thought that a three hour long test is bound to show some errors. And I find it likely that it is the RAM seeingas some of my games that should work on this computer, sometimes didn't. BUT, I will run the test. Thank you. Just out of curiosity, if I don't have any errors, what next?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ram should not show any errors no matter how long you run it...for high end builds I run it at least 8 hours
if the ram is good it could be heat...power...hard drive...driver conflict..and several other problems...

Sarge_Maximus2

Sarge_Maximus2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

...if you get ANY ERRORS you will have to replace the ram

I thought you said it shouldn't have any errors at all? Sorry if I'm persistent, I'm just trying to make sense of this. I'm using the computer right now and it's working fine. Seems only if I ue a cd that I get the screen.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

...if you get ANY ERRORS you will have to replace the ram

I thought you said it shouldn't have any errors at all? Sorry if I'm persistent, I'm just trying to make sense of this. I'm using the computer right now and it's working fine. Seems only if I ue a cd that I get the screen.

thats what both those statements mean

and this is from your 1st post...

ok, my computer just started getting slow two days ago and it began to show me the blue screen. I backed up what I could before it simply went to the blue screen right from the get go. In other words, I pressed power, it started up, but instead of a welcome screen, I got the blue screen

so I am confused now......has the problem changed.... :) :)

Sarge_Maximus2

Sarge_Maximus2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

In other words, I pressed power, it started up, but instead of a welcome screen, I got the blue screen. I don't remember what the error was there.

But anyways, I decided I had no choice but to reinstall my OS,

so I did. Now, I was under the impression this would erase all data and start anew, so imagine my surprise when the blue screen came back when I was trying to recover from a cd some of my backed up files.

Anyways, I'm worried it's my harddrive. I've tried using the windows repair module, but there isn't one with my cd. It only gives me the options to either restore the computer to out of box state, or erase it entitrely (I went to out of box state, btw) and yes, I've tried pressing "R" when the menu comes up, and nothing. I can't burn cd's either because that seems to be what is causing the problems, any CD activity. Please help. Thanks.

I hope that clears it up.