Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to fix virus now cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

2rs

2rs

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm trying to fix a Sony VAIO laptop at the moment. It is only about 2 years old.

The initial issue was that there were error messages appearing saying that there were 'insufficient resources available' to do anything. I could not run many programs and any that did run were very slow and often crashed.

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware and detected approx 20 virues (Trojan/Adware) and I cleared them. On reboot the viruses were still there.

Following on from some further advice it appear that I am now at the point where the LSP chain has an issue and I cannot connect to the internet through either IE or Firefox. There is a network connection ('Connected').

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I can't specifically help you with any virus/malware infection. I am familiar with the issue of not being able to connect to the internet. You probably need to run a winsock fix which you can find here...

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4372.html

That is for windows xp only.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.
For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....to open a command prompt box Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter
then...
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...
if your still having problems AFTER getting a all clean from the malware guys...post back here

Edited by happyrock, 01 October 2008 - 05:51 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
He is clean from malware

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
AitrusSkyy

tried the Winsock fix and it said that it fixed a number of errors but I need to register for the full package in order to complete the fix. Will try that later.

HappyRock,

when I typed in the 'netsh winsock reset catalog' command I got a reply saying 'The system cannot execute the specified program'.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try lspfix...get it here...

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
'No Problems Found' using the LSPFix program

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on and steady...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Did all the above Happyrock ... still not internet access from the laptop, however a new Microsoft Windows error has popped up (not sure if this is progress or not - maybe you can let me know).

The error is along the lines as follows;

"Microsoft Windows - The system has recovered from a serious error".

"Error signature - BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C000005 BCP2: AA7B544F BCP3: A9E95728
BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1"

"Error report contents
C:\DOCUME~\MARYLU~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8184.dir00\Mini093008-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~\MARYLU~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER8184.dir00\sysdata.xml"

Any thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me all your system specs...
are you trying to get on the internet wireless...
can you connect directly to the router and get to the internet..
post a link to your malware topic for me ...
what is your swap/page file size set to...

Advertisements

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
See answers below

give me all your system specs...

Sony Vaio (VGN-FS515H) using XP SP2
Intel Pentium 1.73 GHz, 795 MHz, 504MB RAM ... anything else???

are you trying to get on the internet wireless...

Cannot activate wireless - comes up as 'Not connected' in Network Connections. I have disabled and re-enabled the connection with no luck

can you connect directly to the router and get to the internet..

Can get a 'Connected' in Network Connections but no access to the internet when I cable direct to the modem. I can access wirelessly from another laptop no problem.

post a link to your malware topic for me ...

My original malware thread is http://www.boards.ie...hp?t=2055386485

what is your swap/page file size set to...

Where do I find out this? Excuse my ignorance!

Another type of error that I get when I try to open programs/folders is;

'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service'

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to check your swapfile size...
right click on my computer...then properties...then the advanced tab...in the performance section...click on settings...then the advanced tab

you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem....

Edited by happyrock, 01 October 2008 - 08:09 AM.

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Total paging file size for all drives: 756MB

I ran the sfc /scannow twice and neither time did it indicate that there was any issue with the Windows file system

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I hope happyrck won't mind me jumping in :)
No fixes for me, just a deeper down look in the LSP chain.

Open notepad by going to START > RUN and type notepad.exe in the box that appears. In the window that pops up please copy and paste the following

@ECHO OFF
reg export "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5" C:\reg1.txt
reg export "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9" C:\reg2.txt
exit

In Notepad click on the "File" menu > Save As... Under "File name" type fix.bat and Change "Save as type" to All Files, save it to a place you will remember.

Posted Image

Double click on fix.bat.

After that, follow these steps:
  • Navigate to C:\
  • Select both reg1.txt and reg2.txt by selecting them while holding down the CTRL button.
  • Right click one of the 2 files.
  • Mouse over "Send To ->"
  • Select "Compressed (Zipped) Folder"
  • Please upload this zip file into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 02 October 2008 - 02:21 AM.

2rs

2rs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Any and all help accepted and appreciated Olrik. Here is the zip file

Attached Files

• Attached File  reg1.zip   4.95KB   334 downloads