Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update--NOT ABLE TO WORK

• Please log in to reply

bermie

bermie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello--I recently had some virus/malware or something crazy on my laptop (yesterday). I've done all I can to remove it (ran my Norton and AdAware multiple times until they come out clean). I've noticed that the comp repeatedly keeps putting .dll files to load upon startup in my msconfig (I've unchecked them and deleted the .dlls as well, although other ones keep coming). It is also trying to access the internet, as, if i've shut off the wireless, every now and then i'll get a "no connection, work offline or try to connect?" error box (when I'm not trying to connect to the internet at all or use a program that would need to connect). When I tried to do a system restore, I found all previous dates were completely erased and the only timepoint to restore to was essentially right after the offending program/virus began. Anyway, the malware is another topic (it also causes popups to other sites when i click "back" on my web browsers). One of my biggest concerns is that I can't do any windows updates.
The security center says my windows update is turned off--however, if i go into my control panel and click on the security settings, it says it is on. Furthermore, I've tried going into services.msc (through "run") and am able to "start" (none of htem are off) my event loggers and BITS, but my automatic updates is set to "disabled" (in the general tab--it's enabled in the log on tab). If i select "automatic" or "manual" the start button is able to be depressed. However, when I depress it, i get an error msg (saying essentially it can't start it because it's either disabled or other services need to be started as well). Any ideas on how to get it working again? I'm afraid to access the internet and type anything because the virii it keeps finding are all ones that can record keystrokes (and i've run the virus scan and ad aware multiple times, but it usually picks up somehting new each time). I've tried housecall and panda online, which it will run, but usually has some type of error before hte scan/clean finishes.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my work laptop and i do not have time to put it aside for now!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well it's very possible that all of your issues are due to the infection and therefore must be addressed first.... I recommend going to the malware forums and get it clean first.....

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
bermie,
It seems certain that the issues you are suffering from are being caused by the infection. You should go to the malware removal section of GeeksToGo, and request the assistance of a trained malware removal helper.

bermie

bermie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks, I'm just about to post in the malware forum as well.

Also, the error I am getting upon trying to start the automatic updates service (after all associated are "started") from services.msc is
"Could not start the Automatic Updates service on Local Computer

Error 1058: This service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it"