Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Keeps refreshing/Dr. watson Debugger?

• Please log in to reply

pimpjayjay

pimpjayjay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Some times my desktop keeps refreshing and if i had a folder open it will close it. My files do come back but if i made any changes like move a folder from one side of my desk top to anotheir it will go back to it's original position. This really gets annoying when I'm trying to do something important .

My second problem is that when my computer says that the Dr. watson Debugger has a problem my whole desktop will freeze and the only thing i can do is to restart my computer using the task manager most of the time it happens when my desktop loads up.

I really need some help with these two problems/ the become a very annoying and i want to get them out of my way

if you can help send my a message thanx

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the Geeks2Go Forum!

For your dektop icons problem you should check that the Desktop is not set to "auto arrange" them.
Right click empty area on Desktop-->"Arrange Icons By..."--> "Auto Arrange"
If that option is ticked, remove the tick by right-clicking the option.
If that isn't the cause, then it may well be related to your Desktop freeze problem. Icons often get put back
to their original location when a 'glitch' involving the Desktop occurs.

The Dr Watson message you're getting is most likely this "Dr Watson Debugger has encountered a problem", it's not telling
you that Dr Watson Debugger itself has a problem.

Dr Watson automatically springs into action when program errors occur, it's purpose being to diagnose what caused it
and write it's findings to a text file which can assist technical support personnel should you contact them. To you and me
this log file is meaningless gobbledygook unfortunately. It's in a language that only trained technicians understand.

The Desktop 'freezing' you're experiencing is part of the problem, not the fault of Dr Watson which is just doing what it was designed to do.

As to what's causing the freeze, that's the difficult part with no error messages to go on. Could be a bad or unsigned device driver
which Microsoft hasn't passed as 100% XP-compatible, or a driver conflict, any number of things.

You may want to run the built-in error checker tool to eliminate file-system errors or bad sectors as a possible cause to start with:
1. My Computer --. right-click C drive and choose 'Properties'

2. Under the 'Tools' tab, click "Check Now" button, tick both options, click 'Start'

3. Drive C can't be checked while Windows is running so you'll need to re-start.

4. Error-Checker will run before Windows starts, and it will fix any errors if they are fixable.

Note: Error-Checker will run only once. Subsequent restarts will be normal until you invoke Error Checker again.

Edited by pip22, 01 October 2008 - 07:15 AM.