Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems With Sluggish Computer + CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

Dr. Cox

Dr. Cox

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this and was able to help.

Computer has been running really slowly for a few weeks now, running Firefox for instance my CPU usage goes through the roof.

Few screengrabs to highlight this:

Task Manager

Performance

Never used to be like this and as you can imagine pretty much rules out using another program at the same time which i have never had bother with before. Only have 1.5gb of ram but that usually runs pretty smoothly.

First thought it was a Firefox problem so stopped using it, IE is the same even with 1 tab open, even Winamp and Media player causes the same carnage in the CPU usage. 1 program running like the ones mentioned and the CPU usage seems to be running at 90%+ with that program taking it all up.

Tried for help elsewhere and was recommended to use anti-virus, anti-adware/spyware programs and have spent the past few days running all sorts of them. AVG, Spybot, Malwarebot, SDFix, Dr. Web cureit. Tried so many and have now lost count. They found a few trojans, viruses and other niggly things - seemed to get rid of them no bother but still the problem persists.

One other fault i've been noticing, not sure if it's anything to do with this or not but:

When i'm shutting down i always get a popup saying 'Windows Cannot End This Program - c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe' forcing me to pick end this now.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Advertisements

emsadmin

emsadmin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I had many user complainning of slow PC and long start of broswer and slow connection, I was to investigate the PC and they had no infection or virus. In reality is was left over from open files, window update and web temp files from browsing (not clean up from delete utility in browser), just a good cleanup did the trick.

These are a basic tolls as they get, but they do the trick and they are free.

Always start with:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
(Also vero good to to uninstall as it it validate leftover that was not uninstall from the vendor script, will also clean the registery on a uninstall)

and then:
http://cleanup.stevengould.org/
( a bit slower but it does a good job (P.S. it will start a demo on the first launch, just say no to demo and do a real clean)

Good luck

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Dr. Cox...

It sounds like the machine is running in Programmed Input/Output transfer mode. This transfer mode utilizes massive amounts of CPU time rather than running in the memory as it should be.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1