Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card

• Please log in to reply

barnie1528

barnie1528

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,
I have an old Mesh computer with an ASUS A7A266-E motherboard which is for use in my young daughter’s room.
Trying to update the computer I bought a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 3-Port PCI Card. Only USB 1 at present.
I tried to fit same tonight and saw that the only way I could realistically find space was to remove the fax/modem PCI card from an existing slot. I figured that since the computer is running on a wireless network adaptor that this was no longer needed.
Having installed the PCI card and rebooted the computer, I have noted that when checking device manager, there is no evidence of this PCI card, USB slots whatsoever.
I have studied the motherboard manual and have been left feeling somewhat inadequate and out of my depth.
When I look at the Expansion Card Installation procedures there is a mention of making any necessary hardware or software settings for the expansion card, such as jumpers. There is no mention of this in the installation guide. It then goes on to say, “Set up the BIOS if necessary (such as IRQ xx Used By ISA: Yes in 4.4.3 PCI Configuration”
Moving on to the “Hardware Setup” section of the motherboard, I see a chapter that talks about “Assigning IRQ’s for expansion cards “and details an “Interrupt Request Table For This Motherboard”, which I find very difficult to comprehend.
I then studied the section entitled, “BIOS Setup”, and was drawn to a section entitled, “PCI Configuration”. The first paragraph is as follows:
“Slot 1, Slot2, Slot3, Slot 4, Slot 5 IRQ (Auto)
These fields set how IRQ use is determined for each PCI slot. The default setting for each filed is (Auto (NA) (3) (4) (5) (7) (9) (10) (11) (12) (14) (15).
Can anyone with the appropriate knowledge point me in the right direction?
In my defence, I did successfully install the same PCI card in my other daughter’s computer which had an “ATX” mainboard supporting an AMD Athlon processor with no issues.
Your help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

First, if you haven't already done so, can you check in device manager under the USB Controller branch for NEC USB open host controller or Belkin USB 2 Hi speed controller.

If these are not present, check for any 'unknown devices' in device manager or any devices that have a yellow exclaimation mark next to them.

If there aren't any, can you power off the system and make sure the card is fully inserted in the slot. If in doubt, remove it and reseat it. Also make a note of which devices are in which slots. The PCI slot nearest the AGP video slot is number 1.

If the USB card is still not detected by Windows, then go into the bios and open the PCI configuration page and check which IRQ (3, 4, 5, 7...14, 15, or auto) is assigned to the slot number containing the USB card & let me know what it is.

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Samm,

I will do this in the next 3 days and get back. Thank you very much for your reply. I note that you were instrumental in solving my last issue with BIOS flash a few months ago. Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards

John

barnie1528

barnie1528

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Samm,

Finally got around to having another look at this issue. I can't believe I have been so stupid. The card WASN'T fully seated in the slot after all. It is now and is working fine.

The fact that you made the effort to reply with an offer of help is however very much appreciated. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Best Regards

Barnie1528

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries, I'm just glad you managed to resolve the problem so easily :)