Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help for my computer issues, please?

• Please log in to reply

Graham Brown

Graham Brown

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I cannot start Windows because:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Having researched this online, most sources seem to say that what would be ideal would be to boot up using the Windows XP setup CD, and activate the repair function and proceed from there. However, the location of said CD escapes me completely. Let us assume it is gone, never to return.

Thus, I was wondering is there was a way around this issue. For example...I know you can get .dll files from http://www.dll-files.com. Could I somehow copy an non-corrupt hal.dll file onto a CD and get that to load and reinstall itself on my computer? If so, I have no idea how to do that. Or perhaps that idea would never work, for whatever reason.

So...any constructive ideas out there? I would be immensely grateful.

- Graham

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You could try running 'System Restore'. You can do that even when Windows won't start, like this:

1. keep tapping F8 as soon as you turn on the PC until the "Advanced Startup Options" appears (white text on a black background).

2. Use up or down arrow keys to highlight "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" and press [Enter].

3. When command prompt appears, type "C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without quotes) and press [Enter].

4. System Restore should start. Choose a restore date that will take you back to a day/time before the problem started.

cootiegraw

cootiegraw

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too am having the same problem... no disk, however, I followed the F8 idea... and it gives me the "safe mode with command prompt" option. HOWEVER, it will not give me the option to type in anything! It comes back with "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" in a bright blue and then goes back to the "windows root\system32\hal.dll"

I've tried the "safe mode as well and it comes back in blue and then back to the "Windows root....."

Any suggestions?

Thanks - cootiegraw

Graham Brown

Graham Brown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
For me, it was unable to take me into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

BUT...I managed to find my Setup CD, and have since resolved the issue.

Thank you pip22 for your hasty reply, and best of luck to anyone else dealing with the same problem.