Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Attepted to add a new hardrive now, monitor won't register

• Please log in to reply

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I was trying to put in a 40gb hard drive into my computer by just plugging in normally. I turned it on and the monitor and it would not go from orange to green. I removed everything I plugged in to the other hardrive and still no luck. I was told not to unplug my computer when adding the hardrives. I've also set to clear my Cosmos to 0 and removed the battery and put it back in. Please help me i cannot afford a computer repair man, so i need your help. I'm decent with computers so not terrible, but not enough to fix this.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There was no need to clear the CMOS as some bright spark advised you to do -- that's quite uneccessary just for fitting a new hard disk.
As for the monitor problem, check that you haven't dislodged the graphics card it plugs into. Give it a firm but careful push down into the slot at both ends.

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
no luck i think the motherboard is friend does that sound right?

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings all

Just looking over your shoulders, Did I read this correctly?

I was told not to unplug my computer when adding the hardrives

Does this mean you DID NOT shut the computer off and installed the drive while it was running?

Or did you just leave the powercord in with computer OFF and did the work? Bad news if the computer was running when doing the drive install. Most likey caused a electrical short on the Main board. Highly unlikely it can be repaired.

One other thought, if your computer has more than one video connection try each one of them. Since you reset the Bios to defaults the machine may be configured now that the on board is the primary adaptor.

Good luck
Kaz

Edit: to correct some spelling errors.

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
so my motherboard is fried and cannot be repaired, good i was looking to get another one anyway, i just don't want to get one and figure out that its something else. Please reply im ordering a nice one tommorow and will i need to re-install vista and how will i do that without the key i just got it with my computer

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings,

Install your vista with the disk you own, use the key that you have. If and when it fails to authenticate, follow the instructions the installation routine will provide you.

This requires usually a phone call to Microsoft in which you will speak to a representative. Then you will be given the chance to explain you changed motherboards because of a failure. They will provide you with a new key code in which to finish the installation and activate the software.

If any of this is not clear, have a computer shop of good reputation do this for you.

Regards
Kaz