Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Drive Not Recognizing Blank DVD's?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hey Geeks.

My optical drives have been the bane of my existance lately and I'm very close to scrapping these hunks o' junk and buying two new ones. THe first issue is they don't open correctly. They stick or something and I have to 'pry' them open. And they appear clean so I'm unsure what's causing this.

Secondly, I have a DVD-R and a DVD-RW drive. The bottom drive (DVD-RW) will read CD's, read DVD's (movies), as well as burn CD's. When I put in blank DVD's however, the drive seems to fail me. In both PowerISO and Nero, I'm essentially told that the drive is empty. Nero just says, no media. PowerISO gives a series of messages when I choose burn current compilation:
- "Can't lock the volume for exclusive access. Do you want to continue anyway?"
- Preparing Media
- Writing Media
- Burning Failed (-109, 9d469a5c)

If I choose the file specifically (opposed to burn this comp.) it gives a different message:
- Preparing media
- Reserve zone 9d049d25
- Error reserving zone. (9d049d25)

Only recently have I gotten it to burn CD's. I switched from iTunes to Zune and for some reason while iTunes wouldn't recognize CD's/drive, Zune burned my music CD without any hicks. So I'm baffled Geeks. Any suggestions?

QUICK EDIT: Fenor, I'm going to try your method today and see if anything productive happens. No harm in trying it right? :)

Edited by BlackPandemic, 01 October 2008 - 06:37 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

QUICK EDIT: Fenor, I'm going to try your method today and see if anything productive happens. No harm in trying it right? :)

If opening Pandora's box and dancing with the devil doesn't scare you, then by all means give it a try!

Hehe. Just Kidding. It is definitely worth a shot to try it.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
So here's the gist. First suggestion, no good (in neither Nero or PowerISO). Nero gave me an error log file (I have attached the .txt file). After the other suggestion, nothing happened, it gave me similar errors. When I did the registry idea, I booted up Nero and it froze, and when Nero freezes, a hard restart is required. iTunes is having issues with the fact that I 'uninstalled' my drive. This isn't a huge concern as I've switched to Zune as my media player, but for putting music on my iPod that's a pain. I also noticed that my DVD drive will auto-close (which I find odd as most stay open until you close them).

I might just ask for new drives for Christmas as if those didn't work, my guess is an actual hardware issue.

Attached Files

Edited by BlackPandemic, 05 October 2008 - 01:35 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Bump for confirmation of dead hardware or perhaps another thing I can try.